Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Moving From LocalHost To Online Web Host

OK, hoping to get a very simple step by step procedure on this one...

I have a smashing (as the Brits say) forum all finished and ready to "go live". It's currently on my localhost, using Wamp. I would now like to take the forum out of "dry dock" and have it appear on my web host.
Can someone give me the run down on how to do this? Or, if there are instructions on this elsewhere, please send me that way. Thanks much.

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

depends what you want to do and what you did.

easiest way is just to create a new forum with the same plugins and themes you want.
    and re-create categories and set permissions.

copy over any modifed themes from the localhost. install any plugins you want.

if you uploaded pics or files or avatars or made discussions or users that you want to keep from localhost.

or modified any files on localhost, copy them as well.

you will need to zip up your /uploads folder and copy the sub-folders and files from /uploads from localhost to web host.

export the database from the localhost via phpmyadmin to a sql file.

drop the database on webhost, import the sql file created from previous step.

run utility/update and utility/structure.

enable plugins and themes.

double check permissions, categories etc.

you could compare the conf/config.php on localhost with the webhost conf/config.php and make changes as necessary. But best to enable plugins via dashboard rather than via config.php.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks Peregrine, so don't upload the Vanilla that's in my www folder of Wamp? Upload a new fresh install of Vanilla on the web host, export DB from (localhost) and import into web host DB? Then change config file to match web host? I have about 25 categories on my local host version of Vanilla, (no posts, its a new forum on localhost), will web host DB add those categories on the web host fresh install of Vanilla ? Hope I'm not confusing the issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

if you want to skip vanilla install on web-host.

you could just create a database on host. remember the login and password for database on web host.

zip up entire forum folder on localhost and extract on web host.
    you could copy the source from your localhost if you wanted. just make sure the permissions are correct for /conf /cache /compile and the file within them after you unzip.

if you want categories, permissions and don't want to re-create, you need to export database via phpmyadmin and import on web host via phpmyadmin.

you will probably need to change user and password in config.php and localhost specific things in config.php

should be pretty obvious.

you also need to make sure you change .htaccess as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Delete all *.ini files in /cache (or simply don't move them).