HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I Don't Have Permission To Use a Signature?

I've read through every past question trying to find the answer to my problem in regard to adding or changing a signature. It used to be so easy but recently I noticed I can no longer add a signature and members can no longer change, delete, or add a signature.
Under the Signature Tab within "Edit Profile" it has the boxes to Hide Signatures and strip out images but under those options it has another line that says Signature Code and under those words it says --- You do not have permission to use a Signature.
I've tried reverting back to the standard theme and it still didn't work. I've got every permission possible as the administrator of the Forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/

Comments

• Have you check for a custom permission in roles?

Plugins.Signatures.Edit

You should see the row under the plugin section of the role. Then the column should be edit. Repeat for each role applicable.

grep is your friend.

• I gave up on correcting this problem a while back but I'm now determined to find a solution to once again create a signature, edit a signature, or even delete one.

I see the row under the plugin section of each role. However, there is nothing that shows "Signatures." I have everything under the Plugin section marked as "edit" and I still get the message that I do not have the permission to use a signature. Please advise.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to reinstall with the newest version of the plugin. It works for me...

• I got it. I uninstalled the plugin and re-installed it. For those reading this who ran into the same problem the cure is to start over with a new install. In the event you do NOT see the signature option in the Plugin section from each Role Permissions than you now know what needs to be done.

• i got the same issue but a new install does not take any effect.
    my uninstallation was like:
    deactivate plugin
    remove the plugin from the plugins-folder
    download the new zip
    unzip it to the plugins folder
    activate the plugin in vanilla

...did i miss something?
    as an administrator i am allowed to use signatures. but not as a member although the permissions in the role&permissions section are set.

any help here?

edited July 2016

@cko12 said:
    i got the same issue but a new install does not take any effect.
    my uninstallation was like:
    deactivate plugin
    remove the plugin from the plugins-folder
    download the new zip
    unzip it to the plugins folder
    activate the plugin in vanilla

...did i miss something?

When ever you delete , uninstall , re instal or modify a plugin theme or application, delete the .ini files from the forum cache. That normally fixes things. Those files are maps and if you don't delete them you are looking at the same map. A new one gets generated after that.

If you still can't save the permissions for the members then the problem could be permission to write are needed and it has to do with more than this plugin.

Can you save permissions for members for other plugins ?

It is best to unzip and then upload using something like Filezilla …

• i emptied the cache.
    i changed the local rights of the class.signatures.plugin.php to 777
    i changed the permissions of the administrator to false but he can still edit and change the signature. no matter what i change, nothing seems to have any effect.

printing out

$canEditSignatures = CheckPermission('Plugins.Signatures.Edit');

from the class.signatures.plugin.php allways gives me "true" on admin and "false" on member.

in GDN_User both roles have the permission:
    admin:
    i:36; s:23:"Plugins.Signatures.Edit";

member:
    i:11;s:23:"Plugins.Signatures.Edit";

changing permissions on other plugins (p.e. discussion pole, edit profile, etc.) works and has an effect.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• more information:
    it's only the admin-account with the "admin=1" in the GDN_User table (which allways gets "true" in checking any permissions because he's the chief master ;) ) .
    switching my member to admin or anything else he still can't edit signatures. so it seems that the permission management of the plugin does not work on my side.

does this plugin work with Vanilla 2.2.1?

$PermissionModel = new PermissionModel();
    $Perms = $PermissionModel->GetUserPermissions($Sender->User->UserID);

in both roles there's the index

'Plugins.Signatures.Edit' => null

it's only the admin-account with the "admin=1

administrators can do everything. If you have other admins and you want to control what they can do, you need to make them moderators.

@cko12 said:

Did you use this plugin on an earlier version of Vanilla ? Is that why you ask if it works ?

If that is the case then maybe delete the settings for the plugin and disable the plugin then enable again if it is the most recent version of the plugin it should work with the most recent version of Vanilla because the developers created that plugin.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@cko12 said:
    $PermissionModel = new PermissionModel();
    $Perms = $PermissionModel->GetUserPermissions($Sender->User->UserID);

in both roles there's the index

'Plugins.Signatures.Edit' => null

Seems as if you know how to run code, so please try this: deactivate the plugin and run the following code (in a test plugin):

// Delete the plugins permission.
    $permissionModel = Gdn::permissionModel();
    $permissionModel->undefine('Plugins.Signatures.Edit');

// Reset all users permission.
    $userModel = Gdn::userModel();
    $userModel->clearPermissions();

Simply deactivating the plugin wouldn't delete the permission or the permissions settings.

• even I m having the same problem

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Could you please use this test plugin

<?php

$PluginInfo['permTest'] = [
        'Name' => 'Permission Test',
        'Description' => 'Just a barebone plugin for testing'
    ];

class PermTestPlugin extends Gdn_Plugin {
        public function vanillaController_permtest_create($sender, $args) {
            $userID = Gdn::session()->UserID;
            decho($userID, 'User', true);
            $permissionModel = Gdn::permissionModel();
            $permissions = $permissionModel->getUserPermissions($userID);
            decho($permissions, 'Permissions', true);
        }
    }

and post the result of looking at yourforum.com/vanilla/permtest here?

• i had an issue like that... but then i saw in another topic asking if the user had YAGA installed.

Well i had it installed and by default it blocks all users from having signatures (Except admins), if you have YAGA installed check the RANKS section and disable all ranks.

• @Eriel said:
    i had an issue like that... but then i saw in another topic asking if the user had YAGA installed.

Well i had it installed and by default it blocks all users from having signatures (Except admins), if you have YAGA installed check the RANKS section and disable all ranks.

yes. the best idea I've seen. possible plugin or app conflict or misapplication of settings that causes odd results.
    Better documentation in add-ons and there interaction on other plugins would alleviate the problem.

When in doubt as a general rule, disable other plugins and applications in the dashboard, and change to the default theme and test just with the single plugin that seems to have problem to determine if there is plugin or application conflict either due to improper settings, or coding conflicts.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.