Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Seeking programmer to help update forum to 2.1.x

Hello everyone,

I'm not technically inclined enough where I feel confident in upgrading my website from 2.0.18.8 to 2.1.x, including all the things that need doing - from "upgrading the database", to "reformatting the theme" so that it all looks just as nice as it currently does. We have a vast database and a great thing going, and don't want to imperil that by being all thumbs with a computer.

(1) Are there any programmers out there who would be willing to help out?
(2) What would be the cost of such work?
(3) Would they be willing to become an adjunct member of our forum to help out with further upgrades and troubleshooting?

I'm mainly just looking for information so that I, along with my forum staff, can make the best decision possible.

Thank you all very much for your time, responses, and any advice you might have. I may have just registered here today, but I've been following your conversations and help chats for a long time, and it's been of tremendous benefit.

• Matt
    CrisisForums.org

Comments

• JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe Cynical Salamander ✭✭

The upgrade shouldn't be too much of a problem database-wise; obviously lots of people have done it successfully. Having a custom theme would likely be your major issue.

What I would recommend is that you do a dry run on a development box to see what happens. Maybe everything will be fine.

• You got a Good forum there , Very interesting.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited November 2014

@‌MrCanadian

Welcome to the community.

As Jason suggests, the process is normally very straightforward.

The key with Vanilla is to remember that your forum content is in the database, not the installation.

If you make a copy of your database, nothing really awful can happen, as you can always reinstall Vanilla and point to the DB.

Other things to make a backup of would be any custom theme folder(s).

The main issue might be plugins that you use.

What I have done in this situation is:

Log in to your web host and make a complete copy of the Vanilla installation, to use as a test.

Disable all plugins (optional)

Follow the upgrade instructions (on the test install!):

Follow these steps to upgrade Vanilla when a new stable release is announced.

Backup your database and conf/config.php file somewhere safe.
    Upload the new release's files so they overwrite the old ones.
    Go to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update to force any updates needed.
    If it fails, try it a second times by refreshing the page.

To upgrade to 2.1 from 2.0.18, add this step:

Delete the file /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php

Once that is done, edit the new conf/config.php file to point to your live database.

Delete the ini files in the cache folder.

Once you have done that you should have a clear idea if there are any theming issues.

If there are, and you aren't sure how to resolve them, post here.

For your plugins, check here, and on GitHub, to make sure you have the latest versions.

Enable the plugins one at a time.

If you find an issue, check under the plugin's page to see if an issue has been posted/resolved.

This might seem like hassle, but in all honesty would take between 15-30 mins max.

If you want to try this and need any further help, ask away.

• I suppose I'll have to give it a shot then. Thanks for the good direction.

• @MrCanadian said:
    I suppose I'll have to give it a shot then. Thanks for the good direction.

Thefixboard tried to connect with your site. (connect - Join) .. The connection was unscuessful. Got some interesting topics there .

• @thefixboard said:
    Thefixboard tried to connect with your site. (connect - Join) .. The connection was unscuessful. Got some interesting topics there .

It was in fact successful, but one of the staff saw that you were posting unrelated links in order to promote your own forum, which unfortunately go against our website rules. They then terminated your account.

While we don't allow advertising of any kind, you (or anyone) are more than welcome to join us to discuss the news and information we post. Since it's your first time there, and this was likely just a simple misunderstanding, you're more than welcome to give it another go - you'll have to register again, however.

If you feel the staff's decision unfair and have no interest in returning, that's fine too and I'll understand. Thank you for having come visit us either way.

• Thefixboard is a forum and we seek out connections to learn to fix and to teach .We came to your forum to connect and to learn and we were commenting on The need for a new banking system. And was Quoting from Luke 3:11 . Your Staff and I notice a general insecurity among all community members to jump the trigger of being very eager to form an opinion. Is that really wise as community owners and promoters.

We all exisist independantly dependant on each other. thefixboard is happy to connect once again however please tell your trigger hungry staff to Relax. Thefixboard works only on inivitations so even if anyone wants to join thefixboard can't So no need to feel insecure.

@whu606 has been on my case forming his own opinion on how I should speak and how I Should behave. Come on Guys/Gals seriously.

However its your respective communities and thefixboard won't question your wisdom.

• @MrCanadian thefixboard will be humble and will attempt to connect once again with your forum

• @MrCanadian your site seems to be down

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2014

@thefixboard your comments are not relevant to this discussion, you aren't really offering help of your own, you are trying to set up a help network, but there is too much waffle not enough substance. What's more Vanillaforums.org is already a good enough network to answer this question in this case

You have already been told that talking in the third person isn't going to warm to people at your scale. Just using verbs like learn/fix/teach doesn’t make it real.

@MrCanadian I am a programmer, TBH I would charge by the hour which could be expensive depending on your needs. Conversion should be easy but often isn't, because there can be a need for a complete re-theme, and/or plugin compatibility issues.

Maybe give it a go, then if you have specific hurdles give me a PM and I can offer consultancy.

grep is your friend.

• @xoo thefixboard will choose to fix once it has learned thevanilla forum . This is all very new to us and we are just learning.

I really don't understand what your problem is but you are feeling a bit inseure I can leave. I can understand why 422 left.

• edited November 2014

@x00
    Thanks for replying - is there chance you could provide a ballpark figure? I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't simply be better not to upgrade at all, since the forum is already fully functional as it is, and doing so seems to invite the gates of hades to open. Nevertheless, your thoughts and time are greatly appreciated.

• @Mrcanadain you are right its about sharing. If you have two give one away ... Thank you for deleting thefixboard

@Mrcanadian you are right its better to leave your site as it is. Build a test box and parallely work on upgradation. Once you are happy with the site working as it should you then can move it to the live site.

@MrCanadian‌ you site seems to connect with the crisis thats going on interesting video on Wealth Inequality in America, Perception vs Reality

• @‌thefixboard
    You're a mysterious character, but thank you for the good advice. Correct, we did post that video.

• As a parallel question for everyone - if I were to upgrade from 2.0.18.8 (where I am now) to 2.0.18.14, would I encounter the same challenges and issues as I would regarding updating to 2.1?

• No, the theme- and plugin-breaking changes were in 2.1, updating to 2.0.18.14 from 2.0.18.x should be safe and is highly recommended.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2014

I PM'd you.

2.0.18.14 upgrade is necessary if you are not yet upgrading to 2.1. Unless you have modified the core there should be no issue upgrading and only contains some security issues.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2014

Note support for 2.0 will be dropped in December, especially security releases.

grep is your friend.

• @MrCanadian‌ . thefixboard faced a similar problem after the crash. We thought we had it all backed up but even just puttting a old db back caused some minor problems. You would still need a test envoironment.

but then I am sure the experts at this lovely forum would be able to guide.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Since I have been publicly 'outed', may I clarify that my 'getting on a user's case' amounted to a polite PM asking them not to bump threads with irrelevant posts.

ἔκβαλε πρῶτον ἐκ τοῦ ὀφθαλμοῦ σοῦ τὴν δοκόν καὶ τότε διαβλέψεις ἐκβαλεῖν τὸ κάρφος ἐκ τοῦ ὀφθαλμοῦ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ σου

as we say around here...