Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to change the text "Announcement"?

Announced threads get tagged with "Announcement". I'd like to change the word to "Sticky" since it's a more familiar term. How would I go about doing this?

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I looked your links and looked through announce.php, cannot change title from there. Don't know how to do this.

• Options

I'm not able to test right now.

what translations have you tested by adding a definition to /conf/locale.php

• Options

I have no locale.php in /conf

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

re-read ---http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26597/tutorial-how-to-change-wording-how-to-change-text-how-to-change-language-how-to-change-locale/p1

and then try the obvious word to translate Announcement

@Geng said: I have no locale.php in /conf

then if you still can't find the answer after reading the discussion.

look at this link to answer

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/207043/#Comment_207043

it's pretty much all there - techniques and tools to find definitions. plugins, scripts, suggestions etc.

in the tutorial.

you can also download a transifex from a different language and look in the site_core.php and dash_core.php

to give you examples of various definitions. and just add what you need it you are using English and just want to translate a few words, just put them in /conf/locale.php

• Options

Ok the file to edit was not in /conf but /locale/en-CA/definitions.php

I did $Definition['Announcement'] = "Sticky"; and it worked.

Question- Will this also affect peoples posts? What if they typed "announcement" would it change their text to Sticky?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@Geng said: Ok the file to edit was not in /conf but /locale/en-CA/definitions.php

personally I wouldn't do this.

the problem with changing it in /locale/en-CA/definitions.php is that it will be over-written when you next upgrade.

Question- Will this also affect peoples posts? What if they typed "announcement" would it change their text to Sticky?

no.

read the instructions in tutorial and the line below.

if you add it to conf/locale.php or create your own locale it won't be overwritten. and I don't suspect you need to create your own locale.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/207043/#Comment_207043

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26597/tutorial-how-to-change-wording-how-to-change-text-how-to-change-language-how-to-change-locale/p1

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited November 2014

@Geng said:
    Ok the file to edit was not in /conf but /locale/en-CA/definitions.php

This will revert the next time you update Vanilla. Add your custom definitions to the /conf/locale.php file as suggested.

Definitions only overwrite text passed through the translate functions. User content is not passed through these functions.

EDIT - Crosspost

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

thx for the logical support @hgtonight. its up to the user to choose :)

we cross-posted.

• Options
    GengGeng New
    edited November 2014

Ok thanks I got it

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

no problem, now that you got it.

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

@Geng‌ you probably already did this, but my users don't like 'announcement' either. I added the following to conf/locale.php. Not sure if this is everything, but it's a start.

$Definition['Announcement'] = "Sticky";
    $Definition['Announce'] = "Make Sticky";
    $Definition['Announce...'] = "Sticky...";
    $Definition["Don't announce."] = "Not sticky";
    $Definition['Where do you want to announce this discussion?'] = "Where do you want this discussion to be sticky?";

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015
    $Definition["Don't announce."] = "Smooth";
    $Definition['Announce'] = "Stick it";
    $Definition['Announcement'] = "Stuck";
    $Definition['Where do you want to announce this discussion?'] = "Where do you want to stick this?";

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

That's awesome AND funny.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2015