Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Open Source and Wordpress

I am totally new to vanilla forums. I understand that vanilla open source project is like Wordpress where users can modify it to suit our needs. But there is a particular plugin that I am interested in, the vanilla comment system for Wordpress. ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/vanilla-forums/ )

So is this plugin usable for only paid hosting Vanilal forums, or is it applicable for self hosted as well? It would be really helpful if someone can clear this question for me, before I start building on top of Vanilla. :smile:

Comments

• Ah you could have found that out if you tried it. Yes it is available.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 thanks, Ya I will be using vanilla. My first option was to use NodeBB or Discourse, but they lack plugins, stability and such stuff. **Also can you please tell whether it is possible to import Wordpress comments and posts in to a vanilla forum? **
    Because our website is more like a community built on WordPress, where every member can make post, discuss and all. But Vanilla seems to be better at handling communities, hence my thoughts on shifting to vanilla

• It is technically possible, but the porter hasn't been adapted to this. Also you would presumably wish to link to past articles.

grep is your friend.

• Btw your wordpress site is public? that is is important for this plugin.

grep is your friend.

• Ya it is public.

• Two approaches on articles with existing worpress comment just display them locked after vanilla comments, using some custom code.

Figure out the conversion. The porter is an OS system

https://github.com/vanilla/porter

Alternative way is to export a small sample forum. Then basically use a text editor/your scripting based on that example to do the conversion trou. the format is not unlike csv.

Not when you upgrade never use the porter. It is not necessary, a lot of people get confused about that, who don't understand migration.

The import format is limited it doesn't have proper typing or schema, so it can sometimes cause soem issues with NULL and white space for example messing up the roles etc.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks, I will keep that in mind. There is also another way to export posts from Wordpress to vanilla. First export posts and its comments to bbpress (plugin is available in github), then port it to vanilla using vanilla porter.

• yep that would probably be your best option.

grep is your friend.