HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

When will Vanilla Forum has automatic update like Wordpres?

Automatic update is great option. Wordpress done this. So when will see automatic update? Any idea? Is it possible for Vanilla? Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Wordpress only forces you to update if you do not do it manually. Which is a problem if you have customized the software.

Automatic updates are not recommended in my opinion because too many things can fail.

• I mean we can update the site in dashboard not ftp upload.

• My real problem is that upgrading vanilla is very difficult via ftp. Wordpress.org solved this issue, I will expect from Vanilla developers too. It helps a lot.

The thing is that wordpress has about 50 updates per year and Vanilla only updates every other year. The updates you are seeing with 2.1 have been crucial security updates which once fixed there should be no other need to update. So the update button would gather dust while waiting for an update once every few years.

The point is that Wordpress updates all the time and very often. Vanilla does not do it as often.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Linc said:
    Probably around 2019.

remember the definitive word is probably ....

could you make it around V's birthday in 2019 as well :wink:

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I think Vanilla Community growing dramaticaly then update frequency will be increase because of user needs. So in 2019 we can update our forums in our space ships :)

Yes , around june 27 th to be precise , but in my opinion I just don't see the need as with wordpress with updates every other week making your custom changes null every time thank you Michel Valdrighi :/