HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"Thou Shall Not Code Count Queries"

LincLinc Detroit Admin

This appeared in the Vanilla offices this morning:

"Thou shall not code count queries - blessed are those that cache counts"

We've had a couple near-incidents lately as a result of attempting to count things via count() query. Something to beware of in your own addons! It just won't scale.

Comments

• I presume you knew this already, but had some cases where you thought you might be able to get away with it.

grep is your friend.

• A tutorial on using the cache methods in vanilla would be useful!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I am pretty sure I do this. I really suck a making scalable SQL it seems. :(

Thanks for the heads up.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks for the notice! :)

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @hgtonight said:
    I am pretty sure I do this. I really suck a making scalable SQL it seems. :(

Thanks for the heads up.

It is not easy to do it. It is kind of the reason for no-SQL movement. It is not the query language so much as the underlying engines.

grep is your friend.