Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can I create a "sandbox" for new users?

A phpBB forum I joined had a feature that I'm hoping to replicate in a 2.1.6 Vanilla instance I'm commissioning.
New users were only able to post in one category/forum. After their post had received comments from 3 other people, they gained the ability to post in the rest of the forum. I don't know if this required intervention by an admin or was an automated action.

The discussion board I'm moving to Vanilla already has an intro category that we ask people to, well, introduce themselves, so if I could make that the only area they can post to easily. Most importantly, if I could have write access to the rest of the board granted automatically when they have met defined criteria, even just a post would be enough, that would save admins being a roadblock.
Then I would have one place where spammers who make it past other measures are channelled through (that alone would probably head off many of the bots), which would make it easy to pick out the people who include spam in their posts from day one.

Some sort of link between YAGA, peregrine reactions, karma bank etc and the role system would do it, but the gamification plugins that I've checked out don't appear to be able to influence role assignment.

Is there a way that I can do this that I have missed so far?

Best Answers

Answers

• Hah.
    It can? Off to read the docs again.
    Thank-you.

1 post would do.
    Put new users in a new "Newbies" role, restrict that role to Read on all categories except the intro and then get Yaga to move them into Members when they introduce themselves.

• Thank-you.

I'm currently struggling through understanding YAGA, it's more of a framework than the simple plugin I thought it was. That thing is seriously grunty!
    Still at the swearing and looking at examples stage. I'll get there.

Hmm, nominating two posts as answering the question messes the flow up a little. Apologies. Waves newbie flag.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

If you have any questions about what things are, feel free to ask them. Yaga is pretty feature complete in terms of badges, ranks, and reactions. It does require configuration to get things the way you want.

I would recommend you read the documentation and check out the default transport file.

http://hgtonight.github.io/Application-Yaga/

P.S. I am always looking for documentation pull requests too. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• So in case you thought I was just whining for the sake of it.
    I couldn't despite reading everything I could find, figure out how to configure YAGA. I have finally, yes it's taken this long, stood up another test system and now I see several links below the Settings link. On my "live" site I don't have those. Don't worry about that, I'll figure out how come now that I know what to look for.
    From just a quick glance through the options those expose, the instructions I've been seeing make all the sense in the world. Should be able to make it do what I want now.
    I'm sure that you weren't losing much sleep over my experience with your addon, but it was bugging the heck out of me.

And yes, if I can add some value to the docs I fully intend to.

• And the reason I couldn't see the Settings links is because I had somehow removed my admin account's ability to administer Yaga.
    I swear I'm not the idiot I appear to be. Honest!

Unless I've missed something, Vanilla doesn't let me specify a manually created role as the default for new users, so to achieve what I wanted I had to downgrade the Members role's rights and create a new equivalent to the built-in Members role which Yaga moves people into on first post in the intro Category.
    And that works.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Look at /role/defaultroles/roles to find a way to set a default new users role

• MetricMetric New
    edited March 2015

@R_J said:
    Look at /role/defaultroles/roles to find a way to set a default new users role

Is that in the dashboard @R_J ?
    I can see Roles & Permissions in there but not the structure you're referring to.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You have to type www.yourforum.com/role/defaultroles/roles in your browser. That page isn't linked anywhere

• MetricMetric New
    edited March 2015

Well I never!
    I did not know that. Darn, that wold have saved some messing around.

Thank-you very much.