Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Bugs: Fresh install issues

edited October 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help

Dunno if it's just me or what, but two quickies:

1. When I manage Extensions, I see the "Whisper" extension listed 11 times. This is the same number of files in the Extensions directory. It appears that it isn't enumerating the extensions correctly.

2. Filebrowser isn't installed in the images directory.

Error Message: The root configuration file could not be found/read (_config.xml).
    Affected Elements: FileBrowser.RetrieveConfigurationPropertiesFromXml();

I think several other files are missing as well.

Other than those two, everything else looks pretty great!

Comments

• Options
    FLCFLC New
    edited July 2005
    I get errors when people apply, when they are approved and when roles change
    A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):
    Error Message: An error occurred while sending the email.
    Affected Elements: Email.Send();
    For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Software support website at: lussumo.com/support
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    Subterrane:
    What operating system are you running?
    What version of php are you running?
    Take a look in the extensions directory and tell me what you see.
    What permissions are set on the _config.xml file in the images directory?

FLC:
    That error means that the php function "mail" didn't work, which implies that php isn't set up to send mail on your server. There are a few configuration directives that php needs to have set up in order to work, you can check out the documentation here:

http://ca.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php

If you want to see the actual error that php is throwing, you can do it by opening up the library/Utility.Email.class.php file. Go to line 149:

if (!@mail($this->Recipients[0]["Email"], $this->Subject, $Message, $Header)) $this->Context->ErrorManager->AddError($this->Context, $this->Name, "Send", "An error occurred while sending the email.");

Comment that line out and replace it with this line:

/* if (!@mail($this->Recipients[0]["Email"], $this->Subject, $Message, $Header)) $this->Context->ErrorManager->AddError($this->Context, $this->Name, "Send", "An error occurred while sending the email."); */ mail($this->Recipients[0]["Email"], $this->Subject, $Message, $Header);

Then the page will just burp out the ugly php error and you can see exactly what php is doing.
  • Options
    dang... i think my server's php leaves a lot to be desired
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    mail isn't necessarily a php function there, FLC. the mail program is simply a nix module like perl more or less. Most hosts remove it for reasons good and bad. If it's a large vhost, they don't want someone signing up and using it to anonyspam most likely. You might need to request it as well.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    And actually, I should really upgrade my email module so you can customize an smtp server to use. It doesn't do that, but it might for version 0.9.2.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    that would be a nice feature for people like FLC without a nix mail module available :) but keep it as an advance option to be only used in that case only, because the default mail option works great at the moment.
  • Options

What operating system are you running?

Debian Linux

What version of php are you running?

Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
        with Zend Optimizer v2.5.10, Copyright (c) 1998-2005, by Zend Technologies
        with Zend Extension Manager v1.0.7, Copyright (c) 2003-2005, by Zend Technologies

Take a look in the extensions directory and tell me what you see.

de.php
    Clipboard.php
    PanelHider.php
    Timer.php
    CategoryJumper.php
    HtmlFormatter.php
    RawHtmlFormatter.php
    Whispers.php
    Cleanup.php
    Markdown.php
    Style.php

What permissions are set on the _config.xml file in the images directory?

That could be a problem since there is no _config.xml in the images directory.

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    That PHP info isn't what I need. Take a look at my phpinfo file to see what I mean: http://lussumo.com/community/images/phpinfo.php You can create a file like that by creating a plain text file and naming it phpinfo.php. Then open it up and write this: <? phpinfo(); ?> And save the file. Then upload it to your server and view it in your web browser. As you can see in my example, my version of PHP is PHP Version 4.3.10-15. It looks to me like not all of your files were uploaded correctly. For example, there is no de.php file in the extensions directory (or at least there shouldn't be). Also, if there is no _config.xml file in your images directory, that certainly explains why it couldn't be read :) Take a look at your unzipped vanilla files and make sure that everything has been copied to your server properly.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    /me holds back the possible phpinfo(); joke
  • Options
    edited July 2005

That makes the most sense. I think my FTP client is being fussy...I'll download the release version and give it another shot.

In the mean time here's the phpinfo http://www.imaginaryfriendfinder.com/phpinfo.php

(The domain name is one of those little jokey ones that I register on a whim, then do nothing with. :) )

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    hahaha - me likes :)
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Woah. Wait. You're using php5 and vanilla works? If so, that blows my mind. I didn't think that php5 was backwards compatible with their older method of doing classes.
  • Options

Well, it kinda works. I uploaded the entire thing again with a different FTP client. Dropped the tabels, ran the installer, and the same thing with the extentions is happening.

Filebrowser has a totally different error now.

iff/images

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    dammit. That's my bad. I made an upgrade to the filebrowser yesterday, and I don't think I copied it to vanilla properly. I'll get on that one right away. The extensions thing is boggling me a bit. I bet it has something to do with php5, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to put that on the backburner until I get this filebrowser thing fixed.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Okay, if you download Vanilla again right now, I've fixed the filebrowser glitch in that one. Ugghhh. Versioning is hell.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    Oh, and with the extensions, what do you see in the extensions directory now?
  • Options
    jonezyjonezy New
    edited July 2005
    totally off topic:

dude don't you use something like subversion or cvs for versioning?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    No. I've been doing it manually - which I believe is far easier than learning something like Subversion.
  • Options
    dude i learned subversion in like 3 seconds... it's seriously easy... there is even a cool cheap place that will host your subversion repositories for like 5 bucks a month... if your interested i'll dig up the link and send it.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I have plenty of space to host it.... I just don't have a clue how to use it, and their documentation is just too frickin big for me to bother figuring it out. I took a look at the menu of their online book (aka manual) and gave up after a few minutes. If you have the time to send me an email with a little quick-start, it would be much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.