Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I edit content of emails?

I have vanilla Version 2.1.7 and the default theme.
1) I'd like to edit the contents of email notifications. The reason is that I am using jsconnect, however, when users get email notifications, they are given a vanilla url to use for signing in. This url does not work because they should be signing in on the url recognized by the jsconnect settings. Users are then prompted to reset passwords which complicates things even further.

2) I also need help in locating vanilla/entry/signin it does not appear on my Cpanel. I have somethings I'd like to edit on that page too.

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I found this by entering "Edit content of emails" in the search bar ...

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23562/tutorial-how-to-customize-your-emails

2) I also need help in locating vanilla/entry/signin it does not appear on my Cpanel.

?

What do you want to edit? Most edits and adding of content can be done via modules plugins theme hooks or editing the default.master of your theme.

• @‌ vrijvlinder
    Thank you for your quick response. I will look at those links immediately. What I wanted to edit in vanilla/entry/signin was the 'sign in' link that was still appearing on vanilla even though I am using jsconnect. I just looked again and I don't see it anymore. However, the "sign in or register" link still appears at the bottom of discussions. I need to remove that because it causes problems as I am using jsconnect. I hope I am making sense.

edited January 2015

You will find the answer if you search, I know other people have had same issue and solved it so the answer is out there.
    Go to the dashboard select settings registration and select Connect as the method of registration.

• @‌ vrijvlinder
    Thanks, again. I've taken care of the email edit. Will I lose those edits when I upgrade?

Regarding, going to the dashboard and selecting connect, that has already been done. It was done the first time jsconnect was installed and enabled. I was expecting that to hide the "Sign In or register" link in vanilla discussions but it does not. I will continue to look around.

I greatly appreciate your help.

you could try to see if removing the guest module works. Try adding this line to the config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['Modules']['ShowGuestModule'] = FALSE;

• I'm sorry but I have no idea where to find config.php
    I've seen it before, I just don't remember where and I'm also not sure if there is more than one.

no there is one and it is in conf/config.php

You need to become familiar with this file since that is where all the settings are stored and is the backdoor to the dashboard if things go wrong and you can't access the dashboard to disable something.

• Thanks again. Unfortunately, that did not get rid of the problem.

• edited January 2015

My JSConnect works just fine. It is just the default "Sign in or register" link that remains visible. I took a look at the link you provided. If is addresses the problem I have, I missed it. Thanks for sending it anyway.

In case other people find this helpful: This
    $Configuration['Garden']['Modules']['ShowGuestModule'] = FALSE;
    Disables the text below. That code is actually already listed in vanilla/conf/config-defaults.php

__Howdy, Stranger!
    It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!__

Interestingly, the buttons are already disabled/not visible.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

If you have the registration method set to connect, Vanilla should be forwarding register links to your external site.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

yes but it is listed as TRUE

the config.php supersedes the defaults. You need to copy over the lines you want to implement. DO NOT EDIT THE DEFAULTS

• @hgtonight‌
    It should but it does not. That is why I want to get rid of the links. Everything else works fine except the visibility of those links in the discussion page.

@vrijvlinder‌
    Thank you for that info about not editing the defaults.

• I'm wondering if my edits should be done in the file referenced below. However, I'm afraid of breaking something.

/vanilla/applications/dashboard/views/entry/signin.php

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Add the following lines to your /conf/config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['Authenticator']['RegisterUrl'] = '/entry/register?Target=%2$s';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Authenticator']['SignInUrl'] = '/entry/signin?Target=%2$s';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Authenticator']['SignOutUrl'] = '/entry/signout/{Session_TransientKey}?Target=%2$s';

Change the right side of the definition to match your site's entry and exit points.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited January 2015

No you don't edit core files. If you want to , you can clone the view. You can copy the contents of that file and create a new file called signin.php inside the views folder of your theme.

You would need to use a custom theme because the default does not use a views folder since the default view is in the applications/dashboard/views

Then see if you can edit and see if it does not break something. If it does then find another simpler alternative like using css to hide those links.

• @hgtonight‌
    I just tried your suggestion. No luck.

• @vrijvlinder‌
    What is the easiest way of determining what files are core files and what files are not?

edited January 2015

Anything that is plugin or a theme or a separate application apart from vanilla that came with the forum software is a not core file.

All the files that came with vanilla are core files in a way but you can edit the plugins and the themes. The other stuff like views and modules you need to clone into your theme if you want to edit them.

Most of the time this is not necessary because you ca use css or js or html to edit the actual theme template.

Anything inside the applications/dashboard is a core file