Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

No upload, but linking images

Hello,

I have one question:
I have a host which doesn't allow uploading files, but I want profile pictures, is there a way to allow people linking their photo which is already anywhere on the internet?
Like I would go to facebook and right-click on my picture and select copy image-url and paste that url in my forum.

Groetjes,

Arend-jan

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You might be interested in the Gravatar service: https://gravatar.com/
    Vanilla has a gravatar plugin that you can use for that.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I wrote something like this for a client a while back. IIRC, if you can get a URL into the Photo column of the user table, the image will be shown correctly.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Uhm, @R_J , I have it installed, but isn't there a way to hardcode change the profile picture change page with an input box and some code server-side?
    Arend-Jan

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Sure... You are speaking of a custom plugin and I showed an already possible solution ;)

You can ask @hgtonight if he like to recreate the work he spoke of or you can get into plugin development by yourself (I always like to support people in that!)

I bet what you try to achieve will be able to be a performance bomb. If pictures come from different servers, there can be slow servers amongst them. And some idiot could change his icon sized picture by a wallpaper sized version (I'm that kind of guy who would try this).
    That's why you would also have to implement a lazy load for profile pictures so that none of this will be bad for the loading time of your page.