Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Access denied using Vanilla Porter

I have been using Vanilla 1 for a number of years. Due to server upgrade to PHP 5.6 I now have to move to Vanilla 2. I have made a fresh installation of Vanilla 2.1.8 and try to transfer the database from Vanilla 1. I have copied Vanilla2export.php to the existing web site, typed in all necessary info asked for in Vanilla Porter (2.1.7) but when clicking "Begin Export" I get an error message: Error: (2) mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'borums_net'@'10.246.64.24' (using password: YES)
From the MySQL-dashboard of my internet provider I have full access to the database, can see all LUM_-files, make export etc. etc., but not when using Vanilla Porter. What could be wrong and what changes might be necessary to make it work?

Comments

• Options

Sometimes the error message says: Error: (2) set_time_limit(): Cannot set time limit due to system policy

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Make sure you have the correct admin password to mysql, the correct user name and that you have owner permissions. Check that the info matches what you have in the config.php

I don't think you need to use porter when upgrading.

• Options

Unfortunately, I am just an ordinary computer user and have no PHP-programming skills. I can, however, look in the files and the values in the "database.php" are absolutely identical to what is listed in the overview from my internet provider - and what I have typed in in the form in Vanilla Porter to initiate export! Upgrading from Vanilla 1 to Vanilla 2 should be done as a "completely fresh install, and then follow the importing instructions to get your Vanilla 1 data into Vanilla 2". According to these instructions ( http://blog.vanillaforums.com/help/importing-data/ ) Vanilla Porter is to be used for creating the single file that is to be imported by Vanilla 2. If not, I have an old database with 17 LUM files that don't seem to fit in with the 36 _GDN and 11 sub0 files in Vanilla 2 database. Could the conversion of data from one format to the other be done (offline) by some external program?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

you only need porter when importing from another platform.

Make a backup file of your database download to your desktop. Create a new Vanilla 2.0 not 2.1 install and then import the database into 2.0.

After you get that working, then backup that database and the config.php and overwrite the files with Vanilla 2.1 .

You will need to remove some redundant files after that such as the default.master.php from

applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php and a couple of others will help you once you get there.

• Options

Thank yuo so much! I will try that within the next couple of days. Luckily, I had the download file from an old version of Vanilla 2 (probably 2.0 - July 2010).

• Options

@KristianB it may be better doing the conversion locally, therefore you don't have whatever limitations of the server. The first thing would be to determine what operating system you use normally for the compute you are going to convert.

Another thing you will need to do is make sure you meet the minimum requirement to run 2.1, as your host

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla#self-hosting-requirements

Note php 5.4 is recommended, as this will be the last version to support lower version of PHP. I also recommend full curl and gd support.

grep is your friend.