Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Building a Site Around Vanilla

I'm about to start building a new site, which will need a user management system. Also, I want users to have an easy way to provide feedback, and a self-hosted Vanilla forum would be good for that purpose. So, I was thinking that I would first install Vanilla, and then I would build my site around it, using Vanilla's user management for my own purposes.

Are there any hurdles I should know about? Has anyone else here had experience going this route?

Thanks.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@divorcetheworld said:
    I'm about to start building a new site, which will need a user management system. Also, I want users to have an easy way to provide feedback, and a self-hosted Vanilla forum would be good for that purpose. So, I was thinking that I would first install Vanilla, and then I would build my site around it, using Vanilla's user management for my own purposes.

Are there any hurdles I should know about? Has anyone else here had experience going this route?

Thanks.

Welcome to the community!

What kind of site are you making?

If you are just looking to throw up some static pages and have a forum, there are already some great addons in the repository for you. I highly suggest Basic Pages.

If you want more of a blog style site, there is a newly released addon called Articles that will do this for you.

If you want something custom, Vanilla has a great framework for writing your own applications. If you are familiar with MVC, you will be able to get started in minutes. Not familiar? Check out the skeleton application.

Feel free to ask if you run into something and can't find the answer. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thank you, hg.

I have some basic self-taught PHP skills, but I'm still a novice. MVC is not really my comfort zone, but if I can build my site with my current skills while incorporating the Vanilla login system, I should be fine. The site will be very dynamic. Although users won't have a ton of things to "do" on the site, the information presented will be catered to each person.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Reading through the code here: https://github.com/vanilla/addons/tree/master/applications/skeleton

Will be extremely helpful to getting started with garden (Vanilla's framework).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@divorcetheworld said:
    Thank you, hg.

I have some basic self-taught PHP skills, but I'm still a novice. MVC is not really my comfort zone

That's exactly where I come from. Believe me: you'll love Vanillas simplicity.