Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can't set user access to view only

Hey guys, this is a weird issue and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had it and I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

Let's say I have 3 Categories - 1,2 & 3
Inside Each Category are 3 Nested Categories 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c, 3a, 3b, 3c etc.

I have created a new user type called 'New User'

Now, I want NEW USER to be able to see all the categories and nested categories, but only be able to create new Comments or Discussions for 1a, 1b, 1c not the others.

This should be easy, I go into that user's roles and permissions, and I uncheck the 'add comments' and 'add discussions' boxes for 2a, 2b, 2c etc.

Alas, doing this changes nothing, that user can still go in and create comments and discussions for 2a, 2b, 2c etc. The only way I can make ANYTHING view only, is by unchecking the 'add comments/discussions' boxes on EVERY category. The second I tick the boxes for any category or nested category, suddenly that user can post comments/discussions in any category they like.

Is anyone able to shine any light on this? It's most vexing.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2015

create new roles and new permissions and also make the categories restricted to only those permissions.

• Options

This is a brand new role, and those permissions are exclusive to that role, as in, I've modified the permissions directly from the specific user's roles and permissions.

But 'Make Categories Restricted to only those permissions' isn't clear to me exactly what you are suggesting...