Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Anyone know if a more robust Inbox is coming in future releases?

DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

I'm currently running a Vanilla install for an MFA program. Part of that setup involves a LOT of 1-on-1 categories (where only one student and one Faculty can view/post). Obviously, this is a suboptimal setup for Vanilla, since it means literally hundreds of categories with two-user access (or one user + admin), and complex individual roles for each user.

The ideal replacement for the one-on-one spaces would be a more robust Inbox that (off the top of my head) allowed for attachments (critical) and a generally more user-friendly/obvious way to add message recipients, via drop-down or some kind of address book (I can't ask 87 year old faculty members to just remember student UserIDs off the top of their head).

I was a little surprised to find nothing Inbox-related in the addon repository, so here's a few questions:

• Am I blind? Did I just miss it?
  • Does the "main" version of the code (2.2.100.x) have the same sort of Inbox, or something more advanced?
  • Is there anything in development that would implement some of this functionality, and I'm asking for something already en route?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@Doyce, I'll be sending you a PM.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Not that I know of.

I am pretty sure I wrote a modification for the file uploads to work in the inbox, check out this thread: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/184781/#Comment_184781

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

It sounds like a lot of the functionality I'm looking for within Inbox exists for the hosted version, but as the MFA director is very committed to keeping everything on their own domain, that's a bit of a non-starter as a solution. Hopefully, that portion of main will be ported out to open sooner rather than later.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited March 2015

Why don't they they just use good old mail?
    I just ask because I'm really bored of everyone favoring the messenger of another Web service

• Options

@DoyceT said:
    It sounds like a lot of the functionality I'm looking for within Inbox exists for the hosted version, but as the MFA director is very committed to keeping everything on their own domain, that's a bit of a non-starter as a solution. Hopefully, that portion of main will be ported out to open sooner rather than later.

I don't think you are limited by domain on the hosted solution. You just point you domain to their servers, you can also use a sub-domain.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    edited March 2015

@R_J said:
    Why don't they they just use good old mail?
    I just ask because I'm really bored of everyone favoring the messenger of another Web service

The main reason is because we need to keep records of faculty/student communications on file for national/regional certification purposes, and the faculty don't have email accounts hosted by the program (for reasons unrelated to this - the IT guy basically doesn't want to enable email accounts for the faculty because he's sodding lazy - it drives me crazy).

But yeah, aside from that one problem, it would be MUCH easier to just let all 1 on 1 communications take place via email.