Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Migrating from PunBB 1.4.2

Hey guys,

I would love to migrate my forums to Vanilla which are actually running PunBB 1.4.2, but I'm getting problems with the vanilla2export.php file (v2.1.9).
I always have the following message : Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/www/......./vanilla2export.php on line 8540

I tried several directories, like root, uploads and an export directory which was writable.
I also tried do re-download and re-upload the export file.

Error is always the same with this 8540 line.

Am I doing something wrong?
Does the tool support version 1.4.2 of PunBB?
Could somebody help me?!

My forums database is 442MB with 9 655 438 lines.
Server runs Linux & PHP: 5.2.17

Thanks very very much :)

Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@thomasb Howdy, thanks for trying out Vanilla. The issue is that the Porter requires PHP 5.3+. Can you move the database to a server with PHP 5.3, or, if it's a shared hosting plan, use your hosting admin panel to change the PHP version to 5.3?

• OK @Linc I have the choice to upgrade to 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5 on my admin panel.
    What would you suggest me? I know PunBB is okay with 5.3, but I'm not sure about 5.4 & 5.5.
    Thanks a lot.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I would suggest to use what you need. Porter requires PHP 5.3+.

If/when you are running Vanilla, I suggest running the latest version of PHP your host allows.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.