Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can you embed tweets, vines, instagram on the open source version? (2015 edition)

edited April 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Howdy all, kinda of a reboot from this post dating 2014. I've tried the solutions in that post but it didn't work. I'm a Vanilla Forums newbie and simply amazed at the technology. O.o

Is it possible to auto embed tweets, vines and instagram?
I've checked a bit online and found this line of code in "class.format.php" (might be related? to auto-embed?) :
$Configuration['Garden']['Format']['Vimeo'] = TRUE;

Thanks for reading me. B) (I'll try digging around and if I find a solution will post it here.) ♥

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited April 2015

Vanilla 2.1.9 supports youtube and vimeo auto-embedding out of the box. Anything else has to be added via a plugin. If there is a specific one you are looking to support, I am sure you could write/commission a plugin to auto embed it for you.

Vanilla 2.2 supports Youtube, Vimeo, Twitter, Github Commits (maybe), Vine, Instagram, Pintrest, Getty, Twitch, and Hitbox.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Hello @hgtonight , thanks a lot for the help! Very insightful. =) Exciting to hear about Vanilla 2.2, will def check it out once it's released.

In the meantime, for those reading this who are using 2.1.9 : I've got the auto-embedding working for Vine and Twitter with the Mediator plugin which I added little edit to the code. I'm not sure if I can share links to code in this forum, but I'll gladly share the link to the pastebin with anyone who might need it. B)<3

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I completely forgot about the Mediator plugin!

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/mediator-plugin

Please share your code :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Alright! Yup that's the one @hgtonight . :p

Here is the link to the pastebin : pastebin.com/gAfQkgje

Just a tiny forewarning about my code: the twitter part is a bit of a hack, it's not perfect. It relies on a third-party website to get the tweet post information. (It's just the way how embedding tweets work.) Vine works very well though, using the native way to embed. :)

I'll work on adding code for instagram today and will update the pastebin if I get it working. ;)

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2015

You should really to a pull request if you are going to distribute, or at least a proper fork.

https://github.com/swook/Mediator

Mediator is licensed by Creative Commons even though

CC licenses are not intended to be used to release software

http://creativecommons.org/tag/gpl

Also swook should really use a GPL2 compatible licence like MIT to be listed in Vanilla Addons repository.

@swook

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 Hey man, yeah maybe I should. I'm not familar at all with Github, more of a artist background. Maybe I should hide the pastebin?

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2015

I'm sure if you open an issue swook will add the code

https://github.com/swook/Mediator/issues

grep is your friend.

• Options

Yeah I emailed him 2-3 days ago. Here's hoping. =)

• Options

I say you get the OEmbed Plugin that covers a lot more site, but you need to wait for the Version 2.2 still to come

• Options

Oh wow, thanks @sodiq55 ! Will def check it out when 2.2 is out. (Is 2.2 out?) OEmbed released in June 2014 and says requires 2.2? It's weird. haha. O.o

• Options

2.2 has these thing included natively, so moot.

2.2 is not yet beta, so don't use it in production.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Yeah, I guess it's smart to wait for 2.2 @x00. Excited to know it will come straight out of the box in future updates. :D
    (Thanks again for helping me!) =)

• Options

Shouldn't Vanilla forums join the club too. People and users should be able embed discussions and so on from vanilla forums onto other sites. Or is this coming in 2.2 too. Will create a better way of sharing vanilla forum links and comments (at least when you see a discussion title with snippet preview and the site logo beside; that is better than a long boring link).

• Options

@sodiq55 said:
    Shouldn't Vanilla forums join the club too. People and users should be able embed discussions and so on from vanilla forums onto other sites. Or is this coming in 2.2 too. Will create a better way of sharing vanilla forum links and comments (at least when you see a discussion title with snippet preview and the site logo beside; that is better than a long boring link).

???

Vanilla had embed capabilities but it is I not Vanilla's job to allow that on other sites, it is the webmaste's. Vanilla is not a form of media, it is a discussion forum.

Vanilla is also a means to an end. It is Vanilla not Tuti-Fruti. The whole point of vanilla is it is extensible through add-ons.

If you want a link to a comment then just click on the date of the comment, it is a permalink.

grep is your friend.