Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Installing Issue

impost0rimpost0r New
edited April 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey community,

I just decided to try vanilla since I heard so much positive feedback about it. I used different forum CMS already and I am quite familiar with some of the huge ones. However, I just installed vanilla (the newest version) on a completely fresh database. After the successfull installation I'm getting redirected to the admin panel. Cool so far. But if I try to check out my board's index all I see is:

Something has gone wrong.
x(
We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
Please check back in a little while.

How is that even possible? I am not running any theme, nor plugin?

Help please!

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Add $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to /conf/config.php in order to see the actual error.

• Fixed. Thanks @R_J <3

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@impost0r

Would you mind briefly saying what the issue was, for future reference?

• @whu606 I am sorry.

I had an issue with the permission set of the subfolders of Cache. As it says in the installation the permissions on Cache, conf and Upload has to be set to 777. However, I missed to include the subfolder Cache/Smarty to the permission change. =)

• Okay, after adding $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; it prints me following to the screen:

The error occurred on or near: /var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php
    1109: * @param integer $error_type
    1110: */
    1111: function trigger_error($error_msg, $error_type = E_USER_WARNING)
    1112: {
    1113: trigger_error("Smarty error: $error_msg", $error_type);
    1114: }
    1115:
    1116:
    1117: /**

Backtrace:

/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1113] PHP::trigger_error(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/internals/core.write_compiled_resource.php:23] Smarty->trigger_error(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1451] PHP::smarty_core_write_compiled_resource(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1274] Smarty->_compile_resource(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1126] Smarty->fetch(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/core/class.smarty.php:124] Smarty->display(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/core/class.controller.php:1855] Gdn_Smarty->Render(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/core/class.controller.php:1318] Gdn_Controller->RenderMaster(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:210] Gdn_Controller->xRender(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:166] Gdn_Pluggable->__call(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:166] DiscussionsController->Render(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:166] DiscussionsController->Index(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:350] PHP::call_user_func_array(); [/var/www/domains/rtx.li/forum/index.php:46] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

That's great @impost0r , thanks.

I am sure that will help others in the future.