Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[SOLVED] Blank screen and endlessly loading after installation

topastopas New
edited May 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello everyone,

This is my very first forum entry ever. Found everything on google in the past 15 years but now I got stuck.
I am experienced with vanilla on XAMPP on windows.
Now I am using lighttpd on my phone to host small sites for presenting or testing. I have an app called Palapa web server running on android. (I think all this is not a problem here, although it sounds exotic)

After unpacking vanilla 2.1.10 and directing my browser towards the vanilla path (127.0.0.1/vanilla) the browser loads endlessly without showing anything.

To verify the web host setup I made a test installation of WordPress. This thing loads perfect and wants to be installed.

I don't know how to start working with this issue.
I tried to enable the debugging inside the conf.php - without gathering new information.
When I switch the forum path and the cache becomes inconsistent I get "Gdn class not found error". That made me happy tonight until I found out it it caused by an inconsistent cache - but shows a little intelligence out there. ;-)

vanilla-core-2-1-10

Can someone help me get on moving? Appreciating any help. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Sounds like a corrupted transfer. Try re-extracting the zip file and re-copying to your serving directory.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    topastopas New
    edited May 2015

Thanks for your quick reply. I already did this. I also tried diefferent folders for "a new extracted ZIP/folder".
    Is there something else that you suggest or just a fresh download and extract? I mean it runs on every xampp I guess which means it works in general and WordPress works on the server lighttpd means the server seems to be okay.

Do I need to set up specific directories for some transfers?

What kind of transfer could this be? Can I somehow debug this?

• Options

Do you get an error if you explicitly call index.php?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    topastopas New
    edited May 2015

Good point - and no I don't get an error! The same behavior as without the index.php.
    I called http://127.0.0.1:8080/vanilla/index.php

This time I waited for about 5 Minutes after calling the URL above. Just loading no reaction.
    Is it most likely that the reason for this can be found in the index.php file?

• Options

I believe this is an issue with your non-standard port. Can you try hosting it on 80 to make sure this is the cause?

Search first

• Options

You were right. Changing the port to 80 solved the issue. Thanks for your help.
    This means I have to do a redirect or something, because I don't want to use root privileges on my phone too much.
    I think this is a defferent topic then.

• Options

@topas said:
    You were right. Changing the port to 80 solved the issue. Thanks for your help.
    This means I have to do a redirect or something, because I don't want to use root privileges on my phone too much.
    I think this is a defferent topic then.

This has been discussed and even fixed over on GitHub: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/pull/2170

You could patch this manually until 2.2 gets released.

Search first

• Options

Found it. I'll test it and give feedback here.

• Options

Nice work.
    I patched the request.php with all 3 changes and that fixes the issue and makes vanilla works out of the box on port 8080.

Thanks a lot. Do we need to close this or mark it solved?

Best wishes.