Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Any "easy" way to make this text a little darker?

snootysnooty Florida
edited June 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I know just enough HTML to be dangerous. That being said, how much trouble would it be to make the text (under Announcements) be a little darker? Is it me, or does it look too light? Yes it the Bitter Sweet theme. A very nice looking theme too by the way.

As a side note, I tried to italicize my first sentence and its just making a _ on each side of the sentence. Not sure if thats on my end or not.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@snooty

If you use a web inspector, you will see what elements you need to affect.

Then use the CSSEdit plugin to add the new rule(s).

• Options
    snootysnooty Florida

Thanks whu606. Sounds like something I better leave alone. I certainly don't want to break something.

• Options
    edited June 2015

@snooty

There really isn't anything to break!

Colours of text are controlled by css rules.

You need to find a way to add a new css rule.

You can do it by creating a new theme (much less difficult than it might sound) with a custom.css file, but for simple changes, the CSSEdit plugin allows you to add a new rule very easily via the Dashboard.

Which browser do you use? A web inspector is simply a tool that allows you to see what rules apply to different elements on a page.

We can almost certainly just give you the rule you need, but then you won't have learned anything.

If you really don't want to know how, just let me know on here and I'll post the rule change needed. (Say which theme you are using. I see you already did!)

• Options
    snootysnooty Florida

Thanks whu606. I use CyberFox that does have the web tools, but to be honest I really don't know how to read it. Could you just give me the code I need and tell me where to stick it? (oops, that didn't come out right), O.o
    I mean where to install it?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2015
    .ItemDiscussion .Meta span, .DataList .Meta span, .Meta a {
    font-size: 11px;
    color: #666;
    }

Use the plugin CSSEdit or add that code to your custom.css file as with the font code in the other discussion you posted.

You better get familiar with web inspectors there are many tutorials here and on the web.

• Options
    snootysnooty Florida
    edited June 2015

Thanks much, will install the plugin now and head over there.

• Options
    snootysnooty Florida
    edited June 2015

Wow! You guys are right, that CSSeditor does make it easy. Very impressed gents. Now the only problem I ran into with the change is shown below. Notice the "Announcements" image is not readable:

Could that image be made into a light turquoise or teal color, with a black letters?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited June 2015

@vrijvlinder said:
    You better get familiar with web inspectors there are many tutorials here and on the web.

@whu606 said:
    Which browser do you use? A web inspector is simply a tool that allows you to see what rules apply to different elements on a page.

We can almost certainly just give you the rule you need, but then you won't have learned anything.

If you get stuck, just ask. But first try it yourself.

Please be aware that it is not impoliteness. It is simply that we need to use the web inspector tools ourselves in order to answer your question and we cannot use it on your screenshot. ;)
    That's why providing a link to your board really helps us helping you.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inspect+element+firefox

• Options

@snooty

Could that image be made into a light turquoise or teal color, with a black letters?

Short answer, yes!

That is why I suggested you work out the web inspector.

Then you could sort this all out on your own.

Why not have a go with the web inspector, and if you get stuck say what you tried, with maybe a screenshot, and we'll help you out.

• Options

Or see this documentation (hint: search the page for announcement...)

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Custom_Themes_2