Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Search and Registration doesnt work

edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
i have a new vanilla install over at http://board.subcultures.at but somehow the forum search and the user registration does not work. i remember there were problems with mod_secure because of "tback" in some urls of the forum with "PostBackAction" in them when i was using the forum back then. it seems like every url that has "PostBackAction" in it just shows the /discussions page. im going to check back with my webhost if they could let requests with "tback" in them through for me. still i wanted to ask if you are aware of that and if it would be possible to rename "PostBackAction" to something different in a future release. cheers

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2006
    I've never heard of anything like that before. It seems kind of ridiculous that "tback" would cause a security problem. More likely your mod_rewrite isn't working properly or set up properly. Try disabling mod_rewrite in Vanilla to see what happens.
  • Options
    with mod_rewrite disabled everything works. sorry for the confusion. i am using lighttpd with the rewrite rules from http://lussumo.com/addons/?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=98 im not sure whats wrong with them or if there is even something wrong with them. i just assumed there is a problem with mod_secure because the only pages that were not working contained the "tback" string in the URI because of "PostBackAction" in the URI and that caused problems in the past. see: http://forum.textdrive.com/viewtopic.php?id=4659
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I think the problem is that the postbackaction isn't being passed through with those mod_rewrite rules. But I could be mistaken.

I'm really not that great with rewrite rules at all. Maybe we can get defel (the author of those rules) in here to help out?
  • Options
    is there a way to contact defel? i didnt find a way through his profile. and it seems like the addon section also has no way to contact an author. i set the forum back to the ugly default URIs in the meantime :) at least it works perfectly this way..thats the most important thing...clean URIs would just be slightly more ideal
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've just emailed him about it. Hopefully he drops by to check it out...
  • Options
    thanks a lot
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Hi,

you must do 2 small changes i didnt commented.

First, disable rewrite for some files in appg/settings.php. Like so:
    // Url Rewriting Definitions
    $Configuration['REWRITE_categories.php'] = 'categories/';
    $Configuration['REWRITE_index.php'] = 'discussions/';
    $Configuration['REWRITE_comments.php'] = 'discussion/';
    $Configuration['REWRITE_search.php'] = 'search.php';
    $Configuration['REWRITE_account.php'] = 'account/';
    $Configuration['REWRITE_settings.php'] = 'settings/';
    $Configuration['REWRITE_post.php'] = 'post/';
    $Configuration['REWRITE_people.php'] = 'people.php';

I think thats ok for user, admins and search-engines.

And here is my complete Rewrite-Rule, dont have problems with it since change-over to Lighttpd:

url.rewrite-once = ( "^/discussions/?$" => "index.php",
    "^/discussions/([0-9]+)/?$" => "index.php?page=$1",
    "^/([0-9]+)/?$" => "index.php?CategoryID=$1",
    "^/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/?$" => "index.php?CategoryID=$1&page=$2",
    "^/discussion/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/(.*)/?$" => "comments.php?DiscussionID=$1&page=$2",
    "^/discussion/([0-9]+)/(.*)/?$" => "comments.php?DiscussionID=$1",
    "^/discussion/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/?$" => "comments.php?DiscussionID=$1&page=$2",
    "^/discussion/([0-9]+)/?$" => "comments.php?DiscussionID=$1",
    "^/categories/?$" => "categories.php",
    "^/account/?$" => "account.php",
    "^/account/([0-9]+)/?$" => "account.php?u=$1",
    "^/account/([0-9]+)/\?(.*)$" => "account.php?u=$1&$2",
    "^/account/(.*)$" => "account.php$1",
    "^/search/?$" => "search.php",
    "^/search/([0-9]+)/?$" => "search.php?page=$1",
    "^/search/saved/([0-9]+)/?$" => "search.php?SearchID=$1",
    "^/search/saved/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/?$" => "search.php?SearchID=$1&page=$2",
    "^/post/?$" => "post.php",
    "^/post/([0-9]+)/?$" => "post.php?CommentID=$1",
    "^/post/category/([0-9]+)/?$" => "post.php?CategoryID=$1",
    "^/settings/(.*)$" => "settings.php$1",
    "^/people/$" => "people.php",
    "^/(discussions|categories|search|post|settings|people|[0-9]+)/(extensions|themes|images|ajax)/(.*)" => "$2/$3",
    "^/(discussions|categories|search|post|settings|people|[0-9]+)/(account.php|categories.php|comments.php|extension.php|index.php|people.php|post.php|search.php|settings.php)" => "$2",
    "^/discussion/([0-9]+/){1,2}[^/]*/(extensions|themes|images|ajax)/(.*)" => "$2/$3",
    "^/discussion/([0-9]+/){1,2}[^/]*/(account.php|categories.php|comments.php|extension.php|index.php|people.php|post.php|search.php|settings.php)" => "$2", "^/(discussions|account|search|post|[0-9]+)/.+/(extensions|themes|images|ajax)/(.*)" => "$2/$3",
    "^/(discussions|account|search|post|[0-9]+)/.+/(account.php|categories.php|comments.php|extension.php|index.php|people.php|post.php|search.php|settings.php)" => "$2"
    )
    Look at the line '"^/account/(.*)$" => "account.php$1"', this rewrite-rule is for urls like '/account/?PostBackAction=foobar .. you can add this for all files and then active rewrite-definitions for this files as described at the beginning.

Is there a way to update the extension?
  • Options
    you can go to your addon page and then click on "Upload New Source File" that should do it :) im going to try your recommendations now
  • Options
    thank you. works great
This discussion has been closed.