HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Any chance this plugin will be updated to support 2.1 / 2.2?

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

I'm running a self-hosted private forum on Vanilla 2.1.11 VBS3 theme. The plugin settings do not work (screen with "Whoops! View not found." shows up).

There are several discussions indicating that this plugin is using the pre 2.1 views and that it needs updating. None of them are
under this plugin discussion, so I'm adding this request here in hope the author will see and update it.

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Have tried reading the tutorial
    How to modify an old plugin for 2.1
    And apply those to this plugin?

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Thanks @vrijvlinder - I was searching for FirstLastNames, didn't occur to me to search for "modify an old plugin for 2.1" because I am not a programmer. But I found it now, will read and will try. @jspautsch has much better chances, of course.

• I ran into the same issue. Doing a stack trace, it appears that Vanialla 2.1.11 has an issue with line 167 of the class.firstlastnames.plugin file which renders the settings.php page.

Changing line 167 from:

$Sender->Render('plugins/FirstLastNames/views/settings.php');

to:

$Sender->Render($this->GetView('settings.php'));

Seems to solve the problem. Hope this helps.

Nico

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

@nicocizik

nice fix for the settings, unfortunately people might unwittingly use it before it is completely fixed ....

there are more insidious issues ..... potential security problems, missing features, and potential clashes with other plugins.

one should change all the views as well to be compliant with 2.1 or 2.2. it is using the old 2.0 views for registration.

in plugplugins/FirstLastNames/views

• you are losing out on events 2.1 and 2.2
    • and potential security fixes. 2.1 and 2.2
    • some of the password checking 2.1 and 2.2
    • captcha aspects in 2.2

theoretically it should be re-written to avoid overriding views so it doesn't have to be updated for each vanilla version.

e,g in 2.1 and 2.2 - just in the approval forms (probably other differences in other forms of registration).

you have password strength check

echo $this->Form->Input('Password', 'password', array('Wrap' => true, 'Strength' => TRUE));

event for ....
    <?php $this->fireEvent('ExtendedRegistrationFields'); ?>

<?php echo $this->Form->label('Why do you want to join?', 'DiscoveryText'); echo $this->Form->textBox('DiscoveryText', array('MultiLine' => true, 'Wrap' => TRUE)); ?>

in vanilla 2.2 (which you don't have in first/last names).

and forced captcha which can only be turned off via a custom plugin or a core change
    (which too me is silly in 2.2, you should be able to test or use 2.2 approval registration without being forced to use captcha)

</li>
                    <li class="CaptchaInput">
                        <?php
                        echo $this->Form->label("Security Check", '');
                        echo $this->Form->Captcha();
                        ?></li>

event for

`<?php $this->fireEvent('RegisterFormBefore`

First name and Last Name should be added via a trigger in events.

or possibly via profile extender plugin and you could avoid livequery as well in firstname lastname js.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

This is nearly a no-brainer, if used with the profile extender (although I'm not sure if I understood what it should be good for).

You can simplify it by saying that FirstName + LastName is a formalized Nickname so it will always come down to one field only.

I've scribbled something down with which you can toy around: https://github.com/R-J/Nickname - please use it only on a test installation!

1. enable plugin ProfileExtender
    2. create a Custom Profile Field called "Nickname".
    3. download Nickname plugin from GitHub
    4. enable Nickname plugin
    5. add nicknames for a few persons
    6. surf through your test installation
    7. give feedback what should be better
  • LuxVeraLuxVera New
    edited April 2016

Terrific Nickname plugin! My only modification is that the members of my private forum prefer seeing “Real Name” rather than “Nickname”, so here are the steps I followed:

1. Enable plugin ProfileExtender.
    2. Create a Custom Profile Field called "Nickname".
    3. Download Nickname plugin from GitHub (link is above).
    4. Enable Nickname plugin.
    5. Add a member with Username of “MozartA” and Nickname of “Amadeus Mozart”.
    6. View the member’s profile and see that it shows “MozartA(a.k.a. Amadeus Mozart)”, some other information, and “Nickname Amadeus Mozart”
    7. Later, edit the profile field name from “Nickname” to “Real Name"
    8. Check Mozart’s profile again and see that shows “MozartA(a.k.a. Amadeus Mozart)”, some other information, and “Real Name Amadeus Mozart”

Henceforth, when viewing All Categories, the latest post shows the username MozartA (no problem for us), but all Discussion lists show Amadeus Mozart.

Also, we have enabled the plugin “Members List Enhanced”, and the members list shows Amadeus Mozart.

Halleluja! Thank you so much R_J.

P.S. I tried accomplishing this with the plugin FirstLastNames but couldn't get the same results.