HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedding HTML5 video and Streamable

Hi,

So HTML5 is all the rage nowadays and instead of .GIF files, more people are using HTML5 and .WEBM files.

To my knowledge, there is no add-on available on the main website which allows one to embed HTML5 directly into a post.

For example, I have this Gfycat HTML5 link: http://www.gfycat.com/QuarterlyThunderousAustralianshelduck

As an HTML5 file, it is 9 MB in size. As a .GIF, it is 22 MB in size. A huge difference in both size and quality.

QUALITY AS A GIF

QUALITY AS A GFY

Am I missing something? Because I do admit, I am not an expert on the Vanilla Forum structure -- and if anyone can direct me to an add-on or plug-in or post which can help me, it would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

To embed html5 video you would use the <video> tag.

I made a plugin a while back which seemed to work to be able to use html5 tags to embed audio and video but the issue is the Htmlawed plugin and the embed restrictions within this software to protect from malicious tampering via embedding objects regardless of the means. :(

You should be able to embed any youtube video or such by using the link to the page of the video and pasting it into the editor.

However you can probably create a plugin that allows for this.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    To embed html5 video you would use the <video> tag.

I made a plugin a while back which seemed to work to be able to use html5 tags to embed audio and video but the issue is the Htmlawed plugin and the embed restrictions within this software to protect from malicious tampering via embedding objects regardless of the means. :(

You should be able to embed any youtube video or such by using the link to the page of the video and pasting it into the editor.

However you can probably create a plugin that allows for this.

Is the <video> tag something that needs to be added onto a forum, or is it already there? The forum that I currently use doesn't seem to have a clear video option. These are the options available:

This is the forum I am referring to: http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/

Youtube videos are easily embeddable (you just post the link):

But it's not the same with Gfycat. It just highlights it as a link:

Do you know what kind of code would be needed to create a plug-in like this for Vanilla Forums? I might as well try to learn how to code myself through a practical project, or I could find someone to pay.

Thanks for the help.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Vela11 said:
    Do you know what kind of code would be needed to create a plug-in like this for Vanilla Forums? I might as well try to learn how to code myself through a practical project, or I could find someone to pay.

If I understand your problem and the purpose of this addon correct, it should be a good start for you.

• Only take video from a trusted sitse, like youtube.

GIF is a very simple format so its exploitability is limited, accepting user videos that haven't been the type of security screening that youtube offers is a mistake.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@x00 said:
    Only take video from a trusted sitse, like youtube.

I would consider gfycat trusted.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.