Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

404 not found error when clicking messages

When using my id with Admin authority I and try to update messages I get:
Page Not Found
When using the System id this does not happen.
This is from a install of 2.1.11
I can give a id with admin access to the forum if that would help.
I probably would not want to post the password here.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25552/tutorial-diagnose-page-not-found-404-errors

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/220157/#Comment_220157

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/FAQ/p1

update messages

ambiguity could be mitigated with a better explanation.

there are 4 or more types of messages (messages, conversation messages, comments, discussions, and notification messages)

update means what? edit add delete, update structure?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• On the Dashboard trying to access Manage Messages I get the error. I am never able to get to do anything. It is not a 404 in the sense I can go back to home and I assume the 404 is being trapped by the application. That is the only place in the app I have seen the error. It fails with any userid except System.
    If this is not a bug I would like to understand how it could not be.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

jkofroth said: On the Dashboard trying to access Manage Messages I get the error. I am never able to get to do anything.

I suspect you have not checked the appropriate "manage messages" in the admin role in dashboard.

verify if the role that you want to manage messages has permission to manage messages.

if the admin role does not have permission to manage messages:

the messages link in dashboard when clicked will not allow you to edit or add messages and will show page not found error.

see the FAQ for default permission settings.

if after correcting permissions for admin role and you still have problem....

post a screenshot of where and what you are doing.

for your perceived errors:

also look in your jsconsole to see if you have any errors

and look in your error logs

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks that was the problem. Interesting that for the System id ignores the lack of the setting in the role. =)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

Interesting that for the System id ignores the lack of the setting in the role.

"System" and the "first admin created during installation" have another value in a column used in permission table which overrides the "role" settings in dashboard.

the admin role is no different from the member role, in that it depends on what you check in the permissions boxes in dashboard.