Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Deletion of Uploads of "Advanced Editor"

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited October 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

The new advanced editor allows, from what i can see, the deletion of uploads when editing the post. There is a sneak and cool integration of a small "x" making this possible. Most forums have a policy where users can not or can just for a certain amount of time edit their posts.

I couldn't find a functionality, that allows users to delete uploads at a later date without the role or right to edit their post. Does anyone know or maybe @Linc can you tell me if this is or will be integrated. If not it might make sense to create a plugin for that and i will make the proposal and ask a developer here.

Testing this under the recent GitHub Version 2.2.101.

Thanx and greetz,
phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

wouldn't deleting uploads actually be editing the post?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Yes, that's true. I can explain the reason.

From a admin perspective it's not good if people can edit the text of their posts all the time. This could break the discussion and reframe the whole story/narrative/thread users created with each other. That could make the thread unreadable.

But it makes sense to offer the users a possibility to edit their - for example - private pictures they post online. They are likely to bug an admin with "Delete this picture please" if they can't. So it would be easier for admins and moderators. Also it gives the user the freedom to delete a private picture, what makes them more likely to post them at the same time, which then leads to better discussions usually.

For example pictures of themselves, their family, babies, an event they attended and so on (i wouldn't do so, but much people like that). For a tech or computer game community that might not be so important, but for other communities it can be.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla