Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

New AddOn: Invite Friends Extension

2»

Comments

• What should I edit in that file?
  • Remove the line that looks like:
    include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."InviteFriends/default.php");
  • That's a solution but it's not really *the* solution. This really needs troubleshooting. Can you check that the permissions on the invitefriends folder are correct? And that all the files inside are complete and havent been mucked up in transit somewhere?
  • Mary, I don't have that line in my extension.php folder. Minisweeper, I'm not sure how to check the permissions. As for seeing that the files are complete, I will download the extension again and replace it on the server with a new copy. I'll report back when I see if that helps.
  • @AllisonMooreSmith

This has nothing to do with the InviteFriends extension i think.
    param: 'CategoryColourChanger' [changes depending upon which extension I'm trying to modify]
    OK

If you got no

include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."InviteFriends/default.php");

in your conf/extension.php the InviteFriends will not cause the bug.

reponse '
    An error occurred while attempting to read the extension definition from InviteFriends
    '
    seems that Vanilla can't read the description of the InviteFriends Extension. As minisweeper said, i might be problem with the file permissions inside th InviteFriends folder.
    Please check them.

Hope you get your forum work again.
  • Hmmm. I get an identical error when I try to activate or deactivate ANY extension--not just CCC, only (as I indicated above) that first error line changes to list the extension I clicked on. Sorry to be stupid, but can someone tell me how to check permissions?
  • Alison, it depends on the application or method you use to access the files on the server.
    I use an FTP application called Interarchy on Mac OS X.
    I simply do a "get info" on the file and adjust the checkboxes as shown below...

permissions

The file above is set to 644 or rw-r--r-- these are UNIX permissions.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, it's a little difficult without knowing more about your setup.
  • edited August 2006
    Hi Michael, Thank you for you job. 1. How to make that the user could not change a subject and a body of the message? 2. Can we set a limit for sending of invitations from one user during the session or an hour or a day? I think, that the user should fill only two fields 1. The friend's e-mail 2. Signature (name, nick or something like that) All other data should be read from his account profile (nick, name, e-mail for mail body text) and the letter must be send "from" forum e-mail (or forum support e-mail). Otherwise, nothing will prevent anybody to use extension as the form for sending offensive letters or for a little SPAM. It is a short way to put server in the black lists.
  • Hi Atas,

> 1. How to make that the user could not change a subject and a body of the message?
    And easy but dirty way is to change the template.php and make the Subject input file type="hidden". But this can be mainpulated.

> Otherwise, nothing will prevent anybody to use extension as the form for sending offensive letters or for a little SPAM. It is a short way to put server in the black lists.

That is definetly a problem. There need to be some changes in the default.php.
  • edited September 2006
    [edit]done it now[/edit]
  • Now that I have upgraded to Vanilla 1.1 the invite friends extension stopped working. Any ideas? http://gliving.tv/community
  • edited October 2007
    I am a total novice. I love this extension, but I would like to put the add friends as a tab. I tried something that was suggested above: In config.php, I set $InviteFriendsSettings['LinkInMainNavigation'] = true; But it is still in the Account section and isn't a tab. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
  • hey guys, i´m using the "invite friends 0.3" with the changes in the code you recomended. the link "invite friends" appeared in my account page..but when i click it nothing happens. did i miss something in this topic? thanks.
  • Can this extension be roles based? I would like to have my mods and admins use this form, but not the general forum members. Out of a fear of people using it for spam, I want it's access restricted. Any ideas on how to do this?
  • I can not get the Invite Friends form to come up. When I click on Invite Friends a blank page comes up with nothing on it. I am using Vanilla 1.1.10 and InviteFriends 0.3.

Thanks.
2»