Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

preview post extension_

edited May 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
hey all. been thinking about worthwhile extensions and was wondering about a preview post extenstion. it wouldnt be too hard to format the contents of your comment in a popup would it? or take it one step further and do it live like the comments on Shaun Inman's site (who just happens to be a member of this forum...hint hint Shaun). thoughts?

Comments

• lechlech Chicagoland
    Wow, that totally slipped my mind. Mark this should probably be a default feature of the post.php, shouldn't it? It would be helpful instead of having to whisper to yourself or continuously edit your own posts like i do. :)
  • Yeah it is a pretty standard forum feature...
  • This is a feature I also feel is sorely missed.
  • I've never really found the point of post previews...but then i dont really care about making mistakes.

It could certainly be a useful extension though.
  • i never use a preview post function...
  • I'd bite off my hand for this feature!
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Now *that* I would like to see!
  • who previews? that's liking thinking before you speak... what a glorious waste of time and energy
  • Jonezy > I dont generally read whilst I type, so I prefer to spend a ouple of seconds reading pack what I've written, but not in the textbox, the way wordpress does live previuewing would be puurrfect.
  • it also helps to check links, images and that sort of lark...
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited July 2005
    what about some sort of coding trickery, so that for the first 10 seconds after posting, the 'edit' button was extra bold, or glowed a different colour, and then faded back again ajax-style after this time was up...

actually nah that is a crap idea.

maybe there is a new way of doing this though... err
  • How about if when you posted it added the comment but also kept it in the 'enter your comments box'. Then if you wanted to change it you could change it and 'Add' would have become 'Edit'. Otherwise you just left it?
  • I think it would be nice if you got 30 a second grace period, so that editing for grammar/presentation/whatever doesn't leave you with an "edited" flag. Either that or the preview...
  • that's a nice idea
  • How about this? http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/live-comment-previews
  • yea. in my opinion I think the 30sec grace period is a little overkill and would slow things down more than a javascript previewer..(yes, no?)... plus a live preview (that works with html) is dead sexy....
  • ithcyithcy New
    edited July 2005
    i don't think he meant a 30-second delay. i think he meant if you edit your post to fix a typo or whatever within 30 seconds after it's posted, the post doesn't get the "edited" stamp. but if you edit it after the grace period expires, it does get the "edited" stamp.
  • ithcy hit the nail on the head!
  • mattmatt ✭✭
    I'd like to see live preview
  • live preview would be pretty simple to do. nice as an extention, haven't looked at extention code so i don't know how to build them, but as for hard coded, i'll do it for my forums and if someone wants to port it to an extention...