Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Style] Clickable category icons

Hi guys,
this is my first contribution to the community since I have registered, it is not a big one, but I figured better something that nothing, right? ;)

category icons screenshot

Here is the code for category icons that are clickable when we are on a discussions page, so besides the esthetic role, they play a useful one. I don't really like the way discussion options are laid out in vanilla, they are too many and too small for anyone to even want to use them. This is the first step towards improving their usability from an information design point of view. Since I am doing this only on spare time for our forums, the whole styling process will be a little slower, but as I have promised our style will be available to everyone as soon as it is completed. For now here is a CSS code snippet to allow clickable category icons:

/* Make the .Discussion li relative so that we can absolutely position things within it */ .Discussion{ position:relative; } /* Category icons on the discussions page */ .DiscussionCategory { width:40px !important; height:40px !important; padding:0; margin:0; text-indent:-9999px; position:absolute; top:4px; left:2px; } .DiscussionCategory span{ display:none; } .DiscussionCategory a:link, .DiscussionCategory a:visited, .DiscussionCategory a:hover{ display:block; width:40px !important; height:40px !important; padding:0; margin:0 !important; } .Category_1 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat1.png) 50% 50% no-repeat; } .Category_2 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat2.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; } .Category_3 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat3.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; } .Category_4 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat4.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; } .Category_5 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat5.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; } .Category_6 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat6.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; } .Category_7 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat7.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; } .Category_8 .DiscussionCategory a{ background: transparent url(icon-cat8.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; } /* Follow this pattern to whatever number of categories you have set up */ /* Add paddings for the linked icons */ .CategoryDescription, .CategoryDiscussionCount, .CategoryOptions, #Discussions li ul{ padding-left:45px; } /* Add the icons to the categories page */ #Categories .Category_1 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat1.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } #Categories .Category_2 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat2.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } #Categories .Category_3 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat3.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } #Categories .Category_4 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat4.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } #Categories .Category_5 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat5.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } #Categories .Category_6 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat6.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } #Categories .Category_7 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat7.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } #Categories .Category_8 .CategoryDescription{ background: transparent url(icon-cat8.png) 2px 50% no-repeat; min-height:40px; } /* Same thing with following the pattern to match the number of cats */

All you need to do is put this in your CSS file (preferably in the categories "section", for semantics' sake) and make 40x40 pixel icons, presto -- you're done. :)

Cheers.

PS

You can see it in action (sort of like a "preview" of what you're getting) at http://herbiv.org/forum

Comments

• Options
    Nice! :)
  • Options
    That's sweet. :)
  • Options
    Excellent. Glad you shared. Thanks.
  • Options
    Beautiful -- thank you very much for sharing. Your forum at http://herbiv.org/forum is looking really good.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot DraganBabic, sadly I've no time to test your code at the moment, but it's really nice of you to post it here. I can't say if it's beautiful or not since I'm definitely not a coder, but I guess it is. Keep up the great work and cheeeers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you like this. ;)
  • Options
    Ok. For some reason, I copied everything you had there and it put the first icon, which happens to be public discussion, into the top left hand corner of the page (both in Firefox and IE) and then ignored the rest of the icons. So, I erased the line: "position:absolute; top:4px; left:2px;" and reuploaded it. It now shows ALL icons, except now it looks like this:

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Good call garvin, you have to add

position:relative;

rule to the .Discussion selector, you can just add the following code to the code posted above:

.Discussion{ position:relative; }

or find the .Discussion selector that's already there and place the needed rule in it.
  • Options
    Forgive me, but I do not see any difference in the positioning.
  • Options
    Then you must be doing something wrong. Please recheck everything with the code in my first post or paste the code you're using here.
  • Options
    DraganBabic: I hope you don't mind that I made this into an extension so that you don't have to edit any files. Well, that's not exactly true. You don't have to edit the vanilla.css file for each style you use. I've taken the css from above and put it into it's own css file. Once you activate the extension, it should be available for any style you use (I'm still testing). You can just add your images and modify the extension stylesheet for your image names. Then upload and activate.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    @DraganBabic -> I copied and pasted the code you have above. Only thing that is different is that instead of "icon-cat1.png" I reference to "icon-cat1.gif" as most of my users are on IE, and its easier for me to use gifs then figure out how to get pngs to work.

That's the ONLY difference.

@jimW -> Did you post this in the add-on directory?
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    @ jimw:
    That's very cool of you to make an extension! I'm glad people like it.

@ garvin:
    I can't possibly think of a reason it doesn't work, could you give me the URI of your vanilla instalation so I can take a look at the code? I have updated the code from the first post with the .Discussion selector, do you have the most recent one?

EDIT: I have just seen you run a private forum, well just check the code then, let me know if the problem is there.
  • Options
    Ok. I redid a cut and paste since you've updated and all works fine. : ) I appreciate it, and apologize for my naysaying. : ) Awesome hack.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I didn't add it yet because I am testing it. If you want it, I'll package it up and put it here for you to test.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    DraganBabic, I finally tried your code and it works perfectly, but there's something I find a bit disturbing. I don't think everyone will share my opinion about this, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to completly replace the category's name by the icon. I mean, it totally makes sense for people used to Vanilla, but will newcomers understand they go to the category instead of the discussion if they click on the icon?

Maybe it would be useful to display the category's name somewhere, using a kind of tooltip on hover or bringing it beside the icon with a text-indent trick. What do you think about this?
  • Options
    Well a tooltip would be awesome, but it would involve fiddling with vanilla templates, and that's kind of out of my league right now I think. :)

My main goal here was to make it the best for loyal and returning users, who know their way around. New users shouldn't take too long to figure their way about, I think.

One alternative is to include the name of the category within the icon itself (graphically I mean)?
  • Options
    Another alternative would be to take out the link to the category and just leave as a visual that this item belongs to the associated category.
  • Options
    I just uploaded this add-on.
  • Options
    Wow, good job jimw!

Now I can't wait to release the full style for vanilla (although I think It will end up as a theme), but unfortunately this next week is a really busy one for me. I hope I'll get something done soon. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.