Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Discussion Overview 1.0

Comments

• edited October 2006
    I would never be able to write this extension! I just had an idea and made a mockup... but I appreciate it Jazzman ;-)

Jazzman, what would you say about integrating this extension into your "Tabled" theme and replacing the "Categories" page with this new layout but table-styled? Or just keeping it an extension, but giving it those capabilities I'm talking about?

edit: Just realised that these features are already available :] I mean replacing the "Categories" page with this layout (using PageManager). But is it possible to make the layout more table-styled? And then how to make this page the default one?
  • i have a strange problem with this wonderful extension: once i enable it the login-page (people.php) gets blank. it seems the server sends the http-header but there's no html code emittet. if i disable Discussion Overview everything is normal again. any ideas what causes this? maybe some interference with another extension?
  • People doesn't have the "Menu" control. As far as I know I've added a check in the extension.. but I could be mistaken... Can't check the source right now though. I'll do it tomorrow, as I want to work on this extension anyway :)
  • Has anyone generated & published an RSS feed with this new extension installed?
  • Very cool, but when you have more then 5 catagories, it is very useless.
  • Ok, updated to version 1.1

- Add check for Menu control, people doesn't have it which resulted in errors or a blank page
    - Added "Show All" link at the bottom of each category
    - Displaying Discussion Overview in a seperate tab is now a user preference

Still thinking about the AJAX collapsing thingy. I need to do a lot more changes to the extension. I want to dynamically load the discussions based on which category is expanded. This will make the page load much faster as well :) I'll keep you posted :)
  • Jazzman, are you contemplating allowing people to make this their homepage for the forums, or alternatively giving the Admin the power to enforce it? Alternatively, would there be a way i could do this myself?
  • You can force it to make it the default homepage. However, you need to remove some lines... I'll make it an option in the next release :)
  • Thanks buddy, although I don't really want that to happen, I would appreciate it, for the benefit of my community. :(
  • And what about styling it to fit your "Tabled" theme? There could be 2 versions of this extension...
  • Will do sir! I hope I have some spare time this week, as I recently started dating :P w00t :)
  • Jazzman, the extension seems to break the rss2 and atom feeds. When i'm in the discussion page and press the RSS2/Atom link, it would just reload the page without allowing me to submit to it. Hope that could be fixed. Good luck with ur date. I hope there are still more wondeful extensions coming from u :)
  • LOL.. I read it like this: "Good luck with ur date. I hope there are more wondeful extensions coming from u :)" Sounded like you meant babies or something :P I'll look into that RSS2/Atom thingy. I guess by replacing the default discussion overview, it can't retrieve data from the normal discussion list.
  • haha, that was the funniest 'harmless' comment i heard all day!!
  • LOL, Jazzman, that's a good one!

plz don't do babies until the rss2/atom thingy is working k?
  • Again, thanks for yet another great extension.

cheers!
  • What is your suggestion for going about making this a permission-based extension? I'd like to make this available to my co-workers but not the clients, as the clients have only 2 discussions at most, while we can see hundreds.
  • Hi Jazzman, As you are probably aware by now that you ARE THE man!! Thanks for such a wonderful extension. I was just wondering if there had been any more thoughs towards the idea by Ø. Would be great to see something like this or even more powerfully would be the option to have all the categories on the page just like you have now but maybe in the admin section / user accounts allow the person to collapse or turn off whichever categories they do not want to see. This would work in the same way then that PHPBB works when you click on a category title. It shows that category and the sub-categories (in this case posts) and then all other categories beneath it in collapsed format. Don't know how do-a-ble that is but would be a great addition to an already fantastic extension. Best wishes, Mark
  • Is there a possibility not to let the user chose if he wishes to the see the Overview as a tab? Changing the
    $Context->Configuration['DISCUSSIONOVERVIEW_SHOW_AS_TAB'] = '0';
    did not help. This is just the default setting, right?
  • Bump.
This discussion has been closed.