Fork me on GitHub
Current Releases are 2.1 stable (major release) and 2.0.18.11 (security patch for 2.0)
We've also rebooted our GitHub repo, docs, and more!

Circle Theatre & Vanilla

edited October 2006 in Vanilla 1
We just launched a Vanilla-powered forum for a community theatre company, Circle Theatre.

Several observations:

• Getting the forum tightly integrated into Circle's narrow one-column layout would have been a nightmare with most forum packages. The clean separation of markup and presentation, using DIVs for layout, etc. all made using Vanilla the obvious choice.

• The theming system was not as clean in terms of separating code from UI markup. I'm not a big fan of the echos and PHP code sprinkled throughout. I'd like to see a real templating system (i.e. no more echos) in a Vanilla 2 or 3.

• It seems like Vanilla has a more component-driven approach to the UI, which is interesting given my day job in Java. JSF is going the same route. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of that approach, but maybe it'll grow on me.

• Extensions are excellent, but I have some concerns about performance. Mostly I see page size bloating as more and more CSS and JS files get aggregated on. I'm not sure what could be done about that; maybe there could be some standardization among extension authors on JS libraries (ie. Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo)?

• Kudos to the Vanilla community! Definitely one of the more responsive and helpful open source communities I've participated in.

All in all, it was a very good experience. We had the bulk of the work (integration with the rest of the site) done right away. From there on out it was mostly a matter of tweaking (can we get signatures? can we move this link here? etc.) and "fixing" IE.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.