Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• you're so funny wanderer. it's like you have this whole world in your head, where nobody really exists but you, everybody else is either just a dream (mac users) or a nightmare (pc users). so because nobody else exists (maybe it's just the pc users that don't exist?!), their opinion doesn't really count. in fact it's not even worth listening to what they have to say. i wonder what freud would have to say to that?

thanks for the compliment on my site. still so much work to do, but so little time...
  • traveljunkieyou're so funny wanderer. it's like you have this whole world in your head, where nobody really exists but you
    ur making it sound like its a bad thing
  • not necessarily, depends on your point of view i suppose.
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    WandererMicro$oft
    Oh dear.

In general that's completely cringe worthy, but coming from a Mac user in particular? The irony is delicious.

You really need to get over yourself Wanderer, they ultimately do the same thing (although a Mac is maybe a little more user friendly, a PC is maybe a little more powerful and has much better general compatibility) but ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I've used a Mac many times in the past but I didn't really get on with it too well, and as a gamer it's pretty much out of the question anyway. There's also absolutely nothing a Mac can do that my PC cannot, but regarding compatibility issues in particular I don't think the same could be said the other way around.
  • edited November 2006
     Quote: traveljunkie  i wonder what freud would have to say to that?
    Poor old Zigmund, you really must keep up TJ, most of his "theories" and "spoutings" have been tossed out you know.

In any case, if Frood was alive today he'd be battling with why vandals are predisposed to continually infecting his PC with viruses!

Now Leonardo, if he was alive he'd have one of these on his desk...

pic

Go on, click on it, you know you want to!
  • i have one of them on my desk :)
  • I want one of them on my desk but i cant afford it. And i dont have a desk..
  • Way to go MySchizoBuddy, half your luck!

They are not expensive! That's old PC mentality, check out the price.

If you don't have a desk, (neither do I) get one of these...

pic

Clicky!
  • It's not fucking PC Mentality it's fucking PC Truth. To check i was right i went on the mac site to check it out. A 2.16gig core2duo iMac with a gig of ram and a 250 gig drive with the 20" screen is £1k. My 2.13 (probably the same processor i dont know which is correct) gig core2duo PC with 2gig of ram and 500gig hard drive and a 19" screen was less than £700. It may not be as prettily packaged but go figure.

And before you go on about software, the only 'paid for' software running on it is the OS which is all i need (yes, vista provides a Media Centre which does everything i need that pc to do) and at the moment it's free (since it's in beta) and when it moves out of beta it'l be part of my MS Actionpack which costs me £200 for all the MS software i could possibly use.

As for the laptop, my laptop doesnt compare to any of the macbooks currently on sale. I'm happy to admit that. That said it's certainly not past its sellbydate.
  • Wanderer, don't you ever feel maybe you're a little close minded?
  •  Quote: Minisweeper  It's not f*cking PC Mentality it's fucking PC Truth.
    Of course it is, as you see it. If that's all you need, then fine, settle for it. You said you'd have one if it wasn't so expensive. £1k for two computers in one, the most solid and industry proven OS at no extra charge, a brilliant email app built-in, a standards compliant browser included, photo, music, calendar and movie software thrown in and the list goes on... and you can still keep your Windoze security blanket to boot, sheesh what do you guys want?

On one hand you criticise such a brilliant package and on the other you settle for (security flawed and virus plagued) XP and blindly wait 5 years for (the solution to all your problems) Vista! (Which finally went golden master, held up another a day or so 'cos the power went out in the mastering plant - due to no UPS)

Quote: c-unit  Wanderer, don't you ever feel maybe you're a little close minded?
    Closed-minded? Yes indeed, on this particular discussion point. But not just because I use a Mac and it's not just something I woke up and decided on a whim. Years of experience lead me to this way of thinking and every day I add more fuel to the fire without even trying.

You guys only apply your unique set of circumstances to your argument, that's closed-minded. A PC with no viruses, yeah right, a PC that never crashes, yeah right like that's the norm.
  • Wanderer, you live in Melbourne. Go outside, take a deep breath and enjoy it.
  • edited November 2006
    "1k for two computers in one, the most solid and industry proven OS at no extra charge, a brilliant email app built-in, a standards compliant browser included, photo, music, calendar and movie software thrown in and the list goes on... and you can still keep your Windoze security blanket to boot, sheesh what do you guys want?"

You missed the point there though didnt you. Probably because you're so blinkered into settling for the best thing you can possibly get to do a multitude of jobs even if it costs you a little extra unnecessarily. I dont *need* 2 computers in one (what do you mean by that, by the way? it doesnt make sense to me). I dont need or even want email on my MEDIA PC because it's on my business pc and laptop, i dont need a browser because i have no desire to browse the internet on it. I have photo, music, and movie software in the OS, and i dont need a calendar. Windows isnt a security blanket for me, it's something that does the job without me having to pay for a mac designer. If i could buy mac os to run on my pc (can i?) i might consider it. Does it provide tv tuning and recording facilities? I'd sure hope so.

For the record, the PC in question is built into a cabinet so is completely out of site. It has no overheating issues and although it provides a nice blue glow through the crack in the door beyond that i couldnt give a shit what it looks like.

I dont care what's the norm. I really couldnt give a shit. I'm obviously not normal and frankly i quite like it that way. What's more, it's quite difficult for any sort of pc system to get a virus if it rarely accesses the internet (I'm well aware that windows systems are easily affected by viruses and spyware when theyre in the hands of idiots, you dont need to enlighten me to that). I cant actually remember the last time i rebooted it.
  • Whats with the no-no/hatred of booting a computer?

I turn mine off every night, and on again after I get home from work. Bastard boots like like 15 seconds. Is there some reason why I should leave it on 24-7. Will it make my penis larger?
  • To be honest, in the past I've found I have more problems with computers that i boot daily than computers which i boot weekly or so. Dont ask me why and dont even agree with me if you dont want I could be talking shit but that just seems to be how it feels. In any case the reason i dont turn my media pc off is because it has recording schedules at random times of the day (i think it can turn itself on when it needs to but i've never tested it). It also runs fairly silently (external drives make the most noise and since i work in a datacentre i've become pretty numb to fans and whatnot ;)) so unless I'm actually using it i often forget it's on anyway. The only reason i mentioned it is because wanderer seems to be under the impression it aught to be crashing frequently which would generally require a reboot to resolve.

As for why i dont reboot my laptop - again it's just a kind of habit i've got into. It uses very little energy (it powers down the disks/screen/etc after about 15 minutes of idle) and I like that i can grab it at any time of the day and it has everything running that was running on it last time i put it down (particularly as i often leave it in the middle of a remote-desktop session to a server at work etc). It also runs a couple of (obviously non critical but still useful) net services and I also prefer to leave it downloading stuff when I'm not using it for which it needs to be on.

If you dont want to leave yours on 24x7 thats fine. Commendable in fact. This is just the way i work.

..oh, and yeah, I do rather like my enormous e-penis :)
  •  Quote: Minisweeper   If i could buy mac os to run on my pc (can i?) i might consider it.
    But you can run Windows on a Mac and OS X!
    So will you consider it, huh, will you?

You know, ammunition just keeps falling at my feet...

I am training 4 (gorgeous) young ladies for two days, on PDF workflow for a small business that's just employed them to bring their design work in-house with a view to saving costs. Yes, it goes without saying they're Mac girls through and through.

Now I just got an email from their supervisor back in the office saying he just received an email from one of the girls. Why is this the case when he specifically told us that they were to have no internet access while they were at training.

Yes you guessed it again, he's a PC guy, I can tell from the header he uses Outlook Express, too cheap to buy a real application.

Where does he get off telling me how I run my lab of Macs. In any case, a major aspect of the training involves using FTP to marry up low-res and high-res images, what am I supposed to do, draw a PowerPoint graphic to show them how it works?

I hand-balled the issue back to the sales guy who sold the training but I'm sure I'll hear about it.

Oh and the point of this little anecdote? PC Mentality, yet again, it never lets me down. And before anyone jumps at me, yes, it's still PC mentality even if the supervisor was using a Mac!
  • edited November 2006
    "You guys only apply your unique set of circumstances to your argument" "none of the Macs I've been involved with, and there have been many, ever played up." seems somewhat contradicting. Now, I love Macs, but my family has had a different experience. We've sent our iBook in twice for motherboard replacement, and finally we decided the last time it went to just give up on it, we just had the keyboard, screen, and some internal parts replaced on our PowerBook, and we just had some parts replaced and some soldering shit done on our iMac. Why do I keep replying?
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    Mini: If i could buy mac os to run on my pc (can i?) i might consider it.
    Wanderer: But you can run Windows on a Mac and OS X! So will you consider it, huh, will you?

Wanderer, read what Mini said again, maybe a bit more carefully this time, if he could run OS X on a PC he might consider it. That's the other way round to running Windows on OS X. Do you get that?

PS. Check out http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/01/18/PearPC.html for one way to do this :)
  • i think u can run osx on pc's. some functionality might be missing. but the hackers are working on it.
  • Surely i dont still have to use a powerpc emulator now the mac os code is running on intel though? Eitherway cheers for clearing up wanderers little mistake there 3stripe. Obviously it's just too difficult to comprehend that anyone could possibly want to do such a thing when pc hardware is god awful.
This discussion has been closed.