Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Page Manager Problems.../...Pages w/ Forum Look

edited March 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have little experiance with php and such and was wondering if anyone knew of a simple or at least a way to create pages that look just like the rest of the forum, but with your own content... such as if i wanted to create a contacts page but still have the side bar and top tabs and look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I have been trying random ideas, I have used the Page Manager extension but dont really like the way it looks...

Comments

• The Page Manager extension is ideal for what you need Waterskiaddict.
  • Wanderer, he said he doesn't like page manager
    Well Waterskiaddict, there is no other way to do what u want to do for now.
  • I'm sure that bit wasn't there when I replied.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm sure my comment doesnt say edited lol, must be the way that mac read it Is there a limit to the number of pages you can create using the extension, cuz i had major problems with it in the past trying to make pages with it... I have also found that it doesnt like certain html code
  • Have a look at the tos.php file (I think it's caleld that) in your instllation
  • I am also curious over this. I tried that extension but it was unstable and gave many MYSQL and PHP errors. But this would be a good idea for a Vanilla CMS as I have written about in another thread: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/2522/vanilla-cms/#Item_19
  • I made a little adjustment to the PageManagement extension to give it a little more flexibility. I noticed you could add a lot of pages, but the navigation menu could really handle all of them correctly. So I added a new field to the pages called "visibility". You can then set a page to be invisible at the top and then it will appear in a menu in the side panel. I think it makes managing them a little easier. If you think this would work for you, I can upload it somewhere for you to get.
  • Jim, I think that's a useful add-on. Why not ask Sirnot to include it in the code? (By the way WaterSA - Wanderer 1-0)
  • Yeah, I need to get around to doing that... In fact, I'd better just do it now so I won't forget it again :-/
  • edited November 2006
    I think you're trying to do what I already did with my vanilla forum. I have the custom tabs at the top from the page manager and then I also have the sidebar add-on where I have links to custom php pages I made. I can explain to you in detail over an IM service like Xfire, AIM, or MSN sometime if you want. Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about to make sure it's what you're trying to do. Otaku Gamers Anonmyous There's actually a lot of customization involved with doing this, and you have to add the custom php pages to the sidepanel add-on everytime you make a new custom page so that's kind of annoying but it's not that bad. ^.^
  • There, that should do it. I changed the general mentality behind the modification, jimw, (using 'hidden' instead of 'visible') to make upgrading easier.
  • So you upgraded the extension? or is this a coding change?
  • I upgraded the extension.
  • I'm very happy that you can include php within the pages! I have a few questions for the developer: What is the best way to disable the side bar? Currently I'm doing a display: none on the #Panel. Is there any way you can set the created page to be the "home page" for the forum, rather than the list of discussions? thanks! dg
  • Well if you mean disable the list of hidden pages, then just open up the extension file (default.php), and set PAGE_LIST_LOC to 0. And at the moment, no, there is not an option in the extension to set a custom page as the 'home', but I'm sure with a little bit of fiddling it wouldn't be too hard (display a certain page if no 'Page' GET variable is sent, and do nothing if (for instance) the page id was 'discussions').
  • For the first question, I meant that when I created a page (a Welcome page in my case), the panel bar appears on it. Which would be fine, if the RSS and Atom feeds that were there were actually syndicating something (they are not, they're empty, and misleading). My solution was to hide the side panel ... though in reality the problem is with the new page + the syndication feeds.
  • NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    oh, I get you. The reason they're showing is because they think it's the discussion list (as you're accessing index.php).

Try it now, I've updated it to remove any feed and discussion filter panel links. You can easily add more to the $BadPanelItems list if you want to remove any other lists/strings from the panel.
  • Thanks! Also, I modified the RSS2 and Atom add-ons to ignore things that have "/page/" in the URI, which gets rid of the orange RSS icon from my browser bar now :)
  • Thanks for the Update...
  • The panel is blank on all the pages that are added using the manager... is there a quick fix for this?
    Example
This discussion has been closed.