Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Mailing list

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey, what mailing list thing do you have on swellit.com? i would really like to know or have a copy for a new site im going to be launching. If mark could tell me or someone direct me to another ajax mailing list with admin backend i would be most grateful.

Comments

• Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    I'm not sure... but http://www.sitepoint.com/article/use-ajax-php-build-mailing-list is a nice one that I've used recently...

Sadly it doesn't have an admin backend, you have to do that through phpmyadmin or forward the emails onto MailChimp or somewhere....
  • Options
    There are rumours that Mark is working on a mailing list app (called Lemonade) so I'm guessing that's what he's using but i might be wrong. There was a discussion about mailing list managers a while ago though..hmm...
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited November 2006
    A little note for all interested in mailing lists. Many hosting companies use artificial limits to the
    number of emails you're allowed to send each minute/hour or even daily.

If you plan to have a LARGE mailing list (5000+) and/or send a lot of mailings (5000+ daily) you'll
    find that these limits (usually 500-1000 an hour max) are not really workable... and using a
    hosted service works much better (but list maintenance adds to the workload).

I have tried and like VerticalReponse, mailermailer, enflyer and campaignmonitor.com but they're
    all pretty expensive. I also installed phpList, which has a great feature set including advanced
    'pacing' tools (x per minute, no more than y per hour etc) but quickly ran into the aforementioned
    limits.

Recently I've even tried google hosted email... (email for your domain) which lacks many tools,
    but you can set up several accounts and send batches of 400 at a time with very good 'penetration'
    rates (a lot of email arrives, good response)

Anyway, I'd love to get my hands on some lemonade... if Mark made it. Is there an alpha/beta program?
  • Options
    To be sure I'm not sure the idea even spans past scribbles on a page. There was talk of it before Swell came on the scene (i think) and that got here first. Whether lemonade is there in the background I'm not sure...
  • Options
    mm i guess ill just try to make a very simple one for myself. Such as use the ajax collecting email scripts that have been mentioned and just write a basic thing to take emails from the database and mail them a message.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to add something onto the SitepPoint system above so that you can at least see a list of who has signed up, that shouldn't be too hard even for a dufus coder like me! Other than that maybe we could hijack something from the NewsMailer add-on on here? (http://lussumo.com/addons/?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=49)
  • Options
    yeah, as once the names are in the database im sure it cant be that hard.
  • Options
    isnt there a newsmailer extension for this? Or can it not handle the volumes you are looking at?
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    no im not using vanilla, i just want one for my site. Also check this out.. http://www.forummods.net/ no backend and its a mix of two different ajax things i found. It is a mix of the sitepoints one and err another :P I also added a check so there shouldnt be any repeat entries. Now to make the backend...
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    Can you maybe please post the code for the repeat entry checker? My SitePoint version still doesn't have this!

Here's what I've got so far...

<? /* Part of the code for the article "Use Ajax and PHP to Build Your Mailing List" by Aarron Walter (aarron@aarronwalter.com) http://www.sitepoint.com/article/use-ajax-php-build-mailing-list */ require_once("dbConstants.php"); function storeAddress() { $message = "&nbsp;"; // Check for an email address in the query string if( !isset($_GET['address']) ){ // No email address provided } else { // Get email address from the query string $address = $_GET['address']; // Validate Address if(!preg_match("/^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*$/i", $address)) { $message = "<strong>Error</strong>: An invalid email address was provided."; } else { // Connect to database $con = mysql_connect(DBHOST ,DBUSER, DBPASS); mysql_select_db(DBNAME, $con); // Insert email address into mailinglist table $result = mysql_query("INSERT INTO mailinglist SET email='" . $address . "'"); if(mysql_error()){ $message = "<strong>Error</strong>: There was an error storing your email address."; } else { $message = "Cheers for signing up!"; } } } return $message; } ?>
  • Options
    you can download at http://www.forummods.net/mailing.zip This also includes the tick and cross images when they are typing in the address.
  • Options
    Cheers dude!
  • Options
    np :P i would love you so much if you wrote a simple backend. So i could write the email in a box and send it to everyone int he database or something.
This discussion has been closed.