Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"killfile" or "ignore user" addon?

My users are requesting a way to ignore all posts by a certain user. The addon would prevent them from seeing any posts by any user they chose, in the same way they can ignore categories now.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2006
    I am thinking that Comment Protection could be modified to do this. Killfiles have an elegant simplicity.

On the other hand I am thinking of slashdot's karma, or a user collaborative +/- like on Reddit and Digg.
  • Options
    --rant on--
    From a purely social perspective, ostracizing a member this way would be rude in my view.
    It would be like sticking your fingers in your ears as someone speaks.
    Surely, if that member is making unsavoury comments, it should be up to moderators to address?
    Actually having the function there for all to see and use would be counter-productive in any social network.
    --rant off--

Would there be a notification to the ignored one like:
    "Hey dimwit, John Smith has placed you on his ignored list."
  • Options

Would there be a notification to the ignored one like:
    "Hey dimwit, John Smith has placed you on his ignored list."

That'd be hilarious, from a 3rd person stance.

Anyway -- I was kinda wondering why this wasn't in, to be honest. In my eyes it fits right in with the "Block Category" concept (and to be honest, that's what I though "block user" did on THIS site.)
  • Options
     Quote: chuyskywalker   In my eyes it fits right in with the "Block Category" concept (and to be honest, that's what I though "block user" did on THIS site.)
    Yes I thought block user was an ignore function too at first.

Block category is nothing like ignore user if you think about it.

It's one thing to block an area of discussions that does not interest you, quite another to purposely and personally ignore a person and every one of his/her comments.

I belong to AUSOM (The Apple Users' Society of Melbourne) and I often ignore special interest groups because, for example, "Having Fun With MS Word" does not excite me, I know it should but it doesn't.

However it would be rude and unacceptable if I ignored a particular member because I disliked their politics.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I sub-conciously do ignore one or two members, three possibly... OK four at the most!

(I hope none of the AUSOM mob ever get to read this!)
  • Options
    On the flip side of this, I might (as an admin) enjoy being able to block two users from each other -- to stop infighting, etc. :)
  • Options
    Nah, be a man, take sides, ban one, then spit! pic
  • Options
    Pft, I ban both. And then one more from the thread for good fucking measure.
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited December 2006
    Since BLOCK (iggy) user is perfectly normal in IRC discussions, I feel it has a place in any forum (but
    makes make for some mighty difficult thread-reading at times).

IMHO BANNING usually works counter-productive... since most BANNEES --is that even a word?-- will
    try with all their might to get back in under a different (false) name. No amount of IP, email or
    username banning will stop that, and even if it did, attacks on your forum are sure to follow if young
    people are involved.

Hence I'm more pro-SNOOZING(tm) (temporary IGGY that lapses before you permanently ignore or
    ban them). An IGGY however can often stop the usual trolls and flame baiters, who all really thrive
    on attention/reaction, and once ignored lose all sense of purpose in participation ( life? :-D ).

In short:
    YES PLEASE on the IGGY, and if you want me a happy Tomster tack on a 'snooze user'...
    (You've been snoozed! Better go make some coffee for the next XX mins. and think about what
    you've done to offend people. Yes, this means you're in grown-up time-out... ).

TT

PS I knew you would say that Wanderer :-D
  • Options
    Chuy you make me laugh :D

Wanderer: "From a purely social perspective, ostracizing a member this way would be rude in my view."
    This nearly made me die laughing considering some of the posts you've made in the past =D I like the idea of this extension, but perhaps all it does when you ignore a user is folds up their comments? This way you could see that they've posted along with when and where in the thread. Add the ability to unfold/unhide that comment and you've solved the difficulty offollowing thread where someone you're ignoring is participating. Also, if you see that they're being more reason/less annoying or whatever you can decide to stop ignoring them sooner than you might.

Perhaps it is socially rude to ignore them, but IMO it's better than getting constantly baited/insulted into a flame war.

It might also be worth having an place in the account area to display who you are ignoring and who's ignoring you! Also, have the ability to ignore standard posts, whispered posts, or both.
  • Options
     Quote: [-Stash-]  This nearly made me die laughing considering some of the posts you've made in the past =D
    Don't get me started again mate, at least people responded with opinions and comments and didn't simply ignore me or the issue.

By the way, there's a new word in my dictionary:
    Bozone (n.) The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.
    The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.
  • Options
    ToivoToivo New
    edited December 2006
    wanderer I have proposed something similar here "friends\ foes list. blacklist \whitelist" http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/2229/feature-requests/ lots of time= read everything (twice). take notes. write esseys rush hour = read only things that friends have said some time = read everything except some dimwits
  • Options
    this would be a GREAT addition
  • Options
    yea i like all three ideas maybe some guru can make these(snooze, ignore with folding or or not, and most of all "friends\ foes list. blacklist \whitelist") into one "pretty, nice, buggless, and simple extension"
  • Options
    PLEASE IS SOMEONE WORKING ON THIS!?
This discussion has been closed.