Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

After DDoS: Vanilla says I should run setup - but it is installed!

edited January 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
After an DDoS-Attac today on my hoster's Server my vanilla seems to be not installed anymore - but DB and files are okay... it keeps sending me to /setup/index.html - ideas?

Thank you!

Daniel

------
Dear Daniel,

your server lds80-86-92-24 was affected by the following interference:

begin : 11.01.2007 16:50 CET
end : 11.01.2007 17:25 CET
cause:
An incoming DDoS attack interrupted virtual server operations on your
hardware node. We've been able to reduce the impact on effected servers
and hereby recover normal operations.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
your webperoni team
------

Comments

• A simple DDoS attack shouldnt actually affect any files on your server. Probably worth checking with your host if they know of any additional problems before you go reinstalling it...
  • I don't want to reinstall it - there are a lot of postings in it :-(

And my host says everything is fine now... it has just stopped working...
  • check the contents of your conf directory and the files inside it - do they look ok?
  • The settings.php was edited / empty, the edit-date was the beginning of the so-called DDoS-attack... I've restored the file from the backup, everything ist working again now, thank you!
  • Sounds like the server was actually hacked then. You might want to let your hosts know that incase they wernt actually aware. Lucky you had a backup :)
  • I've told them - but as they say the server was never hacked - is it possible that the settings.php was accessed in the same moment they made a backup of the system and could not be read properly?

(And backups... yea, histrory told me to do a backup every day and strore it local - I'm a kind of a burned child if you know what I mean ;-) )
  • Depends how the backups were done i guess..seems a bit odd though.
This discussion has been closed.