Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to use Gmail as default email server for site?

edited March 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm using Google for my domain email... what settings do I need to put into the Vanilla SMTP fields in order for Vanilla to use my Gmail server vs. my local server? or am I fooling myself?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you can use google because it use ssl. I think you will have to change the way vanilla support smtp connections.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited February 2007
    If you need only a handful of accounts, you can: 1) Have your mail forwarded to your Gmail account. 2) Go to your GMail and go to Settings->Accounts and add your respective email addresses to the "Send mail as" section. All of your emails will seamlessly be sent and received as though they go to and from your domain. If you need many accounts, I believe you need to sign up for Google Apps for your domain: http://www.google.com/a/
  • Options
    right.. that's what I did... I set up my domain's MX record to use Gmail as the default mail app. Now when I sign up a dummy account, Vanilla is not sending an email to the admin account.
  • Options
    Do you need vanilla to send the mail directly to the gmail smtp server? Or can you use your own smtp server that will forward your mail to gmail? For the first option, vanilla doesn't support tls connection.
  • Options
    thanks dinobuff... will see what I can tweak to get this running the way i need it to.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Boff, Dino Boff...

If you need to use the google server directly, you might just need to set SMTP host to smtp.gmail.com:465 and change the protocol use in Framework.Class.Email.php line 184. Change:if (!($Socket = fsockopen($SMTPHost, $SMTPPort, $ErrorNumber, $ErrorString, 15))) {forif (!($Socket = fsockopen('tls://'.$SMTPHost, $SMTPPort, $ErrorNumber, $ErrorString, 15))){
  • Options
    dinobuff... sounds like something you polish your lizard with ;)
  • Options
    That functions and that solved my problem with the email @yahoo.* thanks
  • Options
    Google SMTP accepts SSL connections only, hence the need for 'tls://'.

Note also that there is a max. of 250-ish outgoing emails and/or email recipients a day
    if you use the SMTP server (or 450-ish if you use the google email interface)
  • Options
    Is it possible to continue using the local mailserver even after I've configured my MX records to use GMail via their Apps for Your Domain product?

I originally had Vanilla configured to use mail.mysite.com but after modifying the MX records to use GMail extensions like Notify no longer work.

I don't want to use GMail for SMTP because of the 250 message limit that TomTester references below.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Is the local mailserver running on the same machine as the forum? If so you could try just using localhost or 127.0.0.1 as the server.
  • Options
    Anyone come up with a solution for this? I have the same issue.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dino's last suggestion works like a charm, way to go Dino! The line is actually line 202. But does not work when trying to use the invite friends extension.
  • Options
    @Dinoboff your suggestion works! I use Google Apps. Thank you!
  • Options
    Thanks Dinoboff! I don't have to send individual confirmation emails by hand anymore!
  • Options
    I'm having some trouble with this. I've changed the port to 465 and also tried 587.

I the server set to smtp.gmail.com

I get the following fatal error:
    Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:587 (Connection refused) in /homepages/17/d235498828/htdocs/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Class.Email.php on line 202

A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred

Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    Could not connect to SMTP host smtp.gmail.com:587
    Affected Elements
    Email.SMTPSend();
    The error occurred on or near: 111: Connection refused

For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs