Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

accesskey s for comment input tag

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
is it possible to do an extention for that? or will it be a core feature in the future?

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    you mean to "add comment" or to shoot down to the comment box?
  • Options
    to send the comment
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited August 2005
    suppose accesskey = A for that one might work. not sure what select all is though for macs. but I don't think this is really even that necessary. /me holds back the lazy jokes
  • Options
    select all is apple/cmd + a.

access keys, however, use ctrl on a mac, so there wouldn't be any conflict, if that's what you're getting at.
  • Options
    i think you got me wrong... i mean it is possible to assign an accesskey to the submit tag (sorry input tag was wrong) of the comment form so that you are able to do "alt+s" aka "option+s" (on macs ctrl+s) to submit the comment form (just like the shortcuts when you use icq to do instant messaging
  • Options
    domdom
    edited August 2005

Well, there are 2 reasons I would deem this unneccessary and/or damaging (we'll come onto possible in a moment):

1. Alt+S is currently used for the "Search" link, which seems like a more natural use for it in my mind.
    2. You can just tab+enter, or if you have comment format radios visible and your browser doesn't support submitting the form on enter when a radio button is focused, then tab+tab+enter (or tab+tab+tab+tab+enter on some browsers/OSes)

Having said that, a lot of people have been requesting this apparently because a lot of other existing boards use this feature. So, yes, it is possible. An extension could simply add an empty link which goes something like:

<a href="javascript:formname.submit;" accesskey="s"></a>

Then just make sure it won't be conflicting with the "Search" accesskey, and you're laughing.

edit: The code sample is coming up with &lt; instead of the actual <, which I think has already been reported about the markdown formatter, but I thought I'd check...

edit: Or maybe this is due to it being in a code section?

/me shrugs

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Yeah, I think this is wholely uneccesary as long as you can just tab + return
  • Options
    the problem with tab and return is that you have to do tab tabt ab until youre at the submit button because else you would just select another radio button (in my case safari) and because alt+s is widely used on other systems...it seems like a convention ill try to do that suggested method thank you dom
This discussion has been closed.