Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

custom fields

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
In the same wya custom fields can be added to user profiles, it would be nice if admin could have an option to add custom fields to discussions in specific categories of the forum. eg. A forum has a website feedback area, it would be nice if whe posting replies, the users had a seperate field in which they are asked to provide their browser/OS information. With this kind of extension, you would add the facility for thread startes to add tags to thier discussions, and for forum administrators to have a greater level of control over how discussions are formed.

Comments

• lechlech Chicagoland
    Limiting these tags should probably be taken into consideration as well as a means to manage all of them to kill duplicates and such. But as long as it's a single tag per discussion, it could be rather useful. Mark, willing to dig up that old rate function we all had before?
  • I second Lech on: Mark, willing to dig up that old rate function we all had before?
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    I still say this is probably best left for an extension rather than a core feature, it's either going to need some creative use of the existing comment row else a new row/table all together.
  • edited August 2005
    i really like this idea, and it seems like it could be added with some built-in code as an extension. i don't have a clue how to actually implement this, but it would be a very powerful and useful extension.
  • Not only for tags. The possibilities are endless.
    • If you had a news forum, you would be able to add fields for the item source/author
    • As described in my previous post, information regarding user specs for a testing forum
    • Someone mentionned that on a forum they used to use, people would add the names of interested parties to a topic, this could be done too
  • some various useful bits of info for making a vanilla-powered blog.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Do you think it should be attached to the discussion (ie. the topic and first comment) or should it be available for every single comment in the discussion?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    btw - I'm loving all of the ideas everyone is coming up with. I'm not going to add most of them, but I am going to make it so that it is possible & easier to accomplish them through extensions.
  • mark > that should be an admin option, in the first exapme of gave of a feedback forum, you would want to now each respondants spec, but you would only want something like tagging on the disucssion.
  • Based solely on the date of these posts, am I correct that the above applies to version 1? If so, is there a comparable way to do this in version 2?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Yes, this is version 1. In version 2 you'd do something like this with a plugin. I highly recommend a new discussion.