Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The next rev

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
From the looks of things, a LOT is going to be added/changed/whatever in the next release that will change a lot of things. Do you consider this a suitable change to step up to version 1.0.0 or will it remain as 0.9.3

Just wondering because I've really modified certain sections; CSS, Language file, few other files a lot and wondering whether I should wait a while and let you bring out the next rev before I start to work properly on my forum.

Comments

• I'm curious to hear some more about this topic as well. I'm curious to know if I should hold off on making any serious CSS modifications.
  • um. i'm pretty sure mark said that the next would be 0.93 to allow any bug reports to roll in before he made it 1.0 but that bug fixes would be pretty much the only changes between 0.93 and 1. If that makes any sense. I'm drunk.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    It's not 1.0 until mark says it is! :D I'm pretty sure that even with the next version we'll find enough bugs to keep it from getting the 1.0 seal of approval. Hopefully though that won't be the case :D
  • well exactly. But 0.93 will have all the features of 1.0, yes?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    There will definitely be bugs in the next rev. I actually don't plan on handing out 0.9.3 for wide release. I figure that I'll put up a dev version of 0.9.3 somewhere on lussumo.com and give all of those interested full admin abilities so we can test everything out and get it nailed down. Then I'll probably keep revising and revising bugs until they stop rolling in. THEN upgrade to 1.0 and release. I do have a list of changes that I'm making, and I'd like to get into it, but I don't have time right now. So I'll bookmark this and come back tomorrow to explain all of the changes. Like I said earlier in another thread, though - you can see what's already been done on the bugs page and the changelog of the wiki.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    are we going to recieve "sekret hushhush dev releases via mail" once again ?
  • I still haven't upgraded to 0.9.2 yet
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    you should!
  • thats 0.9.2.2 to you, sir!
  • I've been too busy... and I've never tweaked a database setting (as required) before...

oh I know I'll have to do it very soon though
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    are we going to recieve "sekret hushhush dev releases via mail" once again ?

Naw. I'll just announce it on here and make it sticky. I'll also copy over any accounts that are interested, so you won't have to do the whole registration process thing again.

Okay, so My personal list of upcoming changes (ie. changes that aren't already listed on the bug/enhancement list at the wiki) are:

1. Make the object factory include the files.
    I have a sneaking suspiscion that there will be less overhead for PHP if I actually include the php files when they're instantiated rather than at the top of every page. So, I'm going to change the library so that every class has it's own file, and the objectfactory will check to see if a class exists yet, and if it doesn't, it will try to include it. Then I'll do some load testing and see if there is any performance gain.

2. Templates
    I've mentioned this before on here. This will be a very limited templating system. I Just want to template some of the more common things that people want to change, like the discussion list, comment list, search list, etc. Controls that are already very simple and already have methods for adding content (like the control panel) will not be templated, but some items within them may be templated (like the appendices).

3. Move all extension files into the extensions folder
    Some of my extensions still have some files in other areas of the application. I want to make sure that all extensions are contained within the extensions folder. There will, of course, be some style-dependant things that can't change - like the panel-hider's stylesheets. But other than that everything extension-related should be in the extensions folder.

That's it. Everything else I'm planning is on the bug/enhancement list at the wiki.
This discussion has been closed.