Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

SubCategories

edited March 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I am having a little trouble with SubCategories. I got the extension and I am interested in making sub categories for all my categories so unauthenticated viewers can see the titles of the categories only, but only the members can read and write to the discussions in the subcategories and not the main category itself. I got the sub categories created, but as the member goes into the main category, he has the option to "start a new discussion" in the main category before he enters the subcategory that I want them to have discussions in. I don't want them to be able to put any discussions in the main catagories, just in the sub categories. Any way to work this? or do I have to mess with the CatagoryRoles extension? I want a setup like this so the Main categories are like a preview for the unauthenticated to see what kind of categories are in the forum but not actually able to enter: Main Category "X" (everyone should be able to see the category title, but only members can enter, but not post) - sub category "X" (only members can enter and post) Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    SubCategories are merely a stylistic hack and do not alter the core workings of Vanilla (bar removing categories from the main page, and putting sub-lists on category pages).

What you are looking for would require something like the CategoryRoles extension.

Adam.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, just to warn you, I... believe... even with the Category Roles extension, you'll still see a link for "Start a New Discussion" on the main category page. BUT when a user clicks on it, there won't be an option for the main category, they'll have to choose something else. (I think that's the way it works, I can't remember.)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ok can someone fix this: ? when notify sends an email to my members they get a link (a private message) if they are not already logged in it gives errors and it ruins the site cuz it messes everything up Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /***/discussions/extensions/SubCategories/default.php on line 389 Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /***/discussions/extensions/SubCategories/default.php on line 390 help me plz thank you
  • Options
    HellOooo?
  • Options
    please help me
  • Options
    bump need help here
This discussion has been closed.