Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Possibility of 56k warning in 'discussions'?

edited January 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Ok, so use Vanilla as a car forum over on my site. This means people post a lot of picture. And some people don't have much time and only have 56k connections. So would it be possible to add one of these two options? A button next to the title box while posting a new thread that will show up a picture in the 'discussions' list that warns of pictures to 56k people? Or even better. When a thread gets a picture added to it, it will automatically show that warning in the discussions tab? I barely know anything about PHP and I'm about to start full time work so I don't want to spend my free time learning the code instead of building my competition buggy. Anyone that could help please do, I would be very greatful. Maybe even a small reward if it is as good as I imagine it.

Comments

• Options
    you should put this in the addon suggestions category
  • Options
    Cheers, Hopefully that edit moved it.
  • Options
    (Not to derail your request, but if I were in your situation, I would want an add-on that adds a user preference that, if enabled, would automatically link images, rather than display them. I've been thinking about low-bandwidth users a bit recently, as iPhones/SmartPhones are becoming popular.)

Your request wouldn't be too difficult. The extension could add a column to the "Discussion" table called something like, "HasImage". When building up a discussion, "HasImage" could trigger a title prefix (similar to "Sticky", "Sink", etc). I think that the extension would have to scan comment text at the time of submission/save for the img tag, and if present, mark the "HasImage" column.

Not too difficult, but I should finish the other 3 or 4 extensions I'm working on before attempting anything else...
  • Options
    Yes, that idea would be just as good, or maybe even better. You make it sounds so simple. When I look in the code I just go :-O ??? I managed to figure out how to colour everything how I wanted it and change the size of the column and title. But my PHP/CSS/Java knowledge stops there...
This discussion has been closed.