Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Version 1.1.4 Can't log in

edited June 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I just installed the latest version of vanilla last night but can't log in. I assume it has to do with cookies but wanted to ask before I dug into the code. I've installed it fine on other servers so not sure what's up here. I went into the settings.php file and removed the cookie info based on the sticky about version 1.1.2 but that didn't work. Any ideas? You can find the install here: http://labs.getloaded.com/talk Thanks! Eddie

Comments

• I thought it may have been because our php is configured to save sessions in the db so I added a ini_set to change the sessions.save_path to a directory and see that directory does have session data, but after I sign in, I'm still kicked back to the log in screen. The authentication function returns 1 which is my user id so I know the uname/pword is valid, it just isn't setting the cookie or session for some reason. Thanks!
  • Any thoughts on this...is no one else having the issue? Thanks!
  • Someone else was having this problem but it turned out he was using frames and IE was spitting the dummy because one frame was setting the session and another was trying to access it.

You are not using frames so it must be something else.
  • Yeah, it must be something with the server. I installed vanilla a week or so ago fine on another server. The server where I'm having the problems also just had wordpress installed and it works great (wordpress is at http://labs.getloaded.com and vanilla is http://labs.getloaded.com/talk). I've also tried to install it to another domain on that server with the same issues. We do store our sessions in the db which may cause issues. The machine also hosts other domains such as test. dev. labs., etc. I really want to use vanilla but it is just unusable now. Thanks!
  • Add these two lines to your conf/settings.php file, they should be before the ?> at the end:$Configuration['DEFAULT_ROLE'] = '3'; $Configuration['ALLOW_IMMEDIATE_ACCESS'] = '1';
    This will enable creation of a test account that will be able to sign in immediately (applicants normally have to be approved by an admin first)
    Then if you post a test account un/pw we can peek at the traffic and see what is or isn't being passed through.
  • Wallphone, I can't even login as an admin but just created an account as if I was a normal user registering and just set up un:test pw:testme but of course can't use that to log in. http://labs.getloaded.com/talk Thanks!
  • I see that two cookies are getting set, (except for the PHPSESSID cookie, so you may need to see your host) but they may not be getting back to your server. Try going back to that conf/settings.php file, and remove the labs part from the cookie domain, so that what is in quotes is just '.getloaded.com'

If that still doesn't work, remove everything in between the quotes and see if that does anything, if still nothing try clearing the cookie path until there is only a slash between the quotes: '/'.

And finally, if that still doesn't work, then there is a problem with how your host set up sessions. Give them a call and see if they are allowing PHP session cookies to be set.
  • I found my php.ini was not using cookies so I added: ini_set("session.use_cookies","1"); To my settings file and it seems to work now. Thanks!
  • I am also having this problem. I have tried everything in this thread including asking my host about PHP session cookies. I cannot log in with any username/password combo. I just keep going back to the login page after entering a valid combo. Help, please!
  • I found the problem. ['BASE_URL'] and ['FORWARD_VALIDATED_USER_URL'] both needed to include the "www". I have a redirect that always adds "www" to the url of my site if it is missing. Apparently, this must be consistent in the conf/settings.php file.
This discussion has been closed.