Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Hellban

bobthecowbobthecow New
edited March 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
i'm writing a Hellban extension.

well, i wrote it already. mostly. just got a few more bugs to work out :)

just wanted to share. i'll post more info in a bit.

Comments

• Options
    BenBen
    edited February 2008
    What does a Hellban extension do?
    For those of you that don't know, a "hellban" is where a particular user can use a site's forums normally.

Or so they think. When someone is hellbanned, nobody else can see their posts. People who are put on hellban thus post and post and post to their heart's content, but they'll never receive any responses to their messages.

It's a pretty unique approach to cutting down on abuse, because what trolls/flamers hate the most is being ignored.
    That's a pretty cool idea.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That'll put a gimp in their giddy up. I tried to insert a smiley on crutches, but it didn't work.
  • Options
    this sounds like the answer to our forums nightmares. wow. cant wait. ive got a few unbelievable ass's on every social profile -reason for staring the forum on our site..actually. since setting up vanilla we havent been able to figure out a work around to tfendoff their takeovers on the site. i think i ( potentially )love you
  • Options
    Surely you can just ban them normally until this extension comes out?
  • Options
    oh yes i havent opened it yet- its all just foresight -the people that have caused the issues elsewhere , have apperntly very little else to do , via their track records online , of harrassing my client.
  • Options
    is this almost ready yet!? I've been dealing with some real a**holes on my forum lately.
  • Options
    it works.... has some issues with "most recent post" stuff on the overview pages. i need a new delegate so i can fix it.
  • Options
    <3 this role is something thats soooo needed <3 thanks for keeping us updated
  • Options
    hey world - anybody ever follow up here? is there a release of a hellban extension?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    bbPress has it - they call it being bozo'd - wish Vanilla 2 had it