Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

FlipBool with bitwise operators

edited March 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
function FlipBool($Bool) { $Bool = ForceBool($Bool, 0); return $Bool?0:1; }
becomes

function FlipBool($Bool) { $Bool = ForceBool($Bool, 0); return $Bool ^ 1; }
The performance gains will be huge! I say this patch be added to the core post-haste.

Comments

• Options
    How does this work?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It was just a random musing, I'm not being totally serious here. It just replaces the conditional statement with a bitwise operator. Both achieve the same thing really. The bitwise operator '^' is the XOR operator. Whereas a normal OR operator returns true if either inputs are 1, the XOR operator only returns true if one of the inputs are 1. Thus if $Bool is equal to 0 then, when compared to '1' with a XOR operator, the result will be 1 because one of the inputs is one (the second input) but not both of them. If $Bool is equal to 1 then both inputs will be 1 and so the XOR operation will evaluate to false, or 0. All that has the effect of flipping the bits. A 1 becomes a 0 and vice versa.
  • Options
    We could also do ~$Bool or (Not $bool) It does make me wonder which is better performance-wise. Not like it really matters much, searching the codebase tells me it runs at most once per comment on a page load, among other places.
  • Options
    Ahh I see. I didnt realise ^ was an operator, I thought it was a mathematical 'power' function - i.e. raise $Bool to the power 1 - but that wouldn't change it. We could use ($Bool -1)^2.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I was kidding about the performance gains really. I can't see it making that much difference. Funnily enough, my first thought was to use the ~ operator too but I did some testing and it had really weird results. ~0 evaluates to -1 while ~1 evaluates to -2. Probably something to do with how PHP handles integers internally. @Minisweeper: Heh, yeah in PHP you have to use the pow() function which seems a bit round-about to me. We could also use your example with the XOR operator... or any number of other examples - gotta love those logic operations.
  • Options
    I was wondering about that... It seems 0 is stored as 0000 (32 bits though) and -1 is stored as 1111, so performing ~0 flips all the bits on. I had always assumed -1 was stored like 1001, one bit for the negative sign and counting up, just like a regular integer... but negatives count down. That also explains ~1, it turns 0001 into 1110. I'm plugging all these numbers into Window's calculator--it grays out all number buttons but 1 and 0 when turn on binary mode!
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited March 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two's_complement

it's actually quite logical, in part because negative numbers are the same distance from 0 as their positive counter-parts. converting between positive and negative values is interesting: (a is 8 bits)-a = 0 - a = 1111 1111 + 1 - a = (1111 1111 - a) + 1 = ~a + 1
    and allows computers to easily subtract numbers: a - b can be seen as a + ~b + 1

and logical not (!) would probably be a better operator to use the the boolean not.
This discussion has been closed.