Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla and MediaTemple

edited March 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I've been trying to install vanilla in media temple and it does not seem to be working, can someone please run me through some kind of setting check because i can not figure out what settings im missing. My PHP settings are at 4 instead of 5 could that be it? thanks

Comments

• Options
    not that this helps, but I'd dump mediatemple altogether (have very *very* bad experiences with 'grid' and tech support)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    what would you recommend because i have gone to fatcow but theirs was to slow and i had trouble installing vanilla with them. and godaddy's hosting just sucks, and ya could you please help me with a host because i can not find one that works with speed and compatibility with vanilla and wordpress
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i think have a good hoster, very good service and no downtimes for arround two years now, i pay 2€ (= 3$/1,5£) per month, unlimited traffic, 300 mb webspace, incl. one domain.

mediatemple is brutally expensive and honestly your (website) visitor does'nt care for what or for who you pay.
    at least - server uptime and a low price is essential ,a cheesy webserver-gui or the name of a hoster is totally minor and inefficient.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    you never said who the hoster is ? is bluehost or dreamhost good at all? My old website got a lot of users coming in so i need something good that can hold everyone
  • Options
    well it's a german host, probably nothing for you :)
  • Options
    Check this comment about php session on Mediatemple: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/6038/?Focus=65028#Comment_65028
  • Options
    i dont have any problems with mediatemple I'm on gs running vanilla
  • Options
    What is your problem? I didn't have any problem installing vanilla on mediatemple (I am using php5)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well when i upload the file i name it "forum" and then i try going to mywebaddress.com/forum and the setup guide does not come up? what am i doing wrong? my stuff is located in domains/WEBSITEADDRESS.com/. i also tried doing domains/forum.WEBSITEADDRESS.com/ and i also tried putting the folder in the data/users HELP PLEASE
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    just thought I'd state the obvious, but did you unzip it?

well when i upload the file i name it "forum" and then...
  • Options
    yes lol i unzipped it
  • Options
    did you chmod your setup folder to 755?
  • Options
    Also, are you sure you have your files in the appropriate location? A quick search shows that the path for MediaTemple would be: /home/YOURsiteNUMBER/domains/YOURSITE.com/html/public/ e.g., /home/9328/domains/testing.com/html/public/ So your forum directory should be located there. I don't have mediatemple, so I can't confirm this info.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    all 775 settings i used with my ftp client. im using panic transmit yes its in the html/ public folder but its only coming up as testing.com/forum how do i make it forum.testing.com
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    nevermind i got it....thanks everyone for your help
  • Options
    Glad to hear you got things working. Might be helpful for someone in the future if you post the solution!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    something happened to my html/public folder it had its 775 settings messed up it had 756 by mistake. i must have type in a wrong number when configuring everything. I have another question though when i try to change my theme in vanilla it says that my php settings need read access , i have php 4 set up, how do i give it read access it does not give me that option to change it
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    don't get me wrong but i have a question.

here is a quote from mediatemple:
    In many ways you could say our main product is customer support. It's what we work on the hardest. 90% of our staff is in some way dedicated to this process. Beyond fast speeds, amazing technology, and great uptime records - we realize that we must judge our success on how well we have supported our clients. It's really what matters the most in business today.

http://www.mediatemple.net/support/our_promise.htm

are they on vacation? :D

other than that, i'm glad your vanilla forum is up and running now :)
  • Options
    Slightly OT: I can post exchanges with tech support as well as pingdom logs that will cure your desire to host with MT once and for all. I am talking about the time when they were launching their gridserver stuff, so perhaps it's better now... If you're into the grid thing, I actually have very good experiences with Mosso... In general however I'd recommend hosting with a smaller company. Oh, and budget hosting @ $3 a month is silly if you expect any kind of service or speed.
  • Options
    I'm with bluehost and I took out their 2 year plan so I'm paying roughly $7 a month (although that's technically $3.50/month because I split it with a friend). I get 2TB of bandwidth, 200GB of storage, 20 subdomains and 50 databases. Also, I've had really good experience with tech support. I just use their live chat and all my issues have been solved in under an hour. </$0.02>
This discussion has been closed.