Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New Vanilla install...themes do not work..(even default)

avantime4mikeavantime4mike ✭✭
edited March 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi All, I currently run a Yahoo group which has taken off in a big way and so decided to try my hand at a proper forum. I have uploaded Vanilla to a trial site and setup has completed ok (after a few hiccups). However the welcome page and all other pages for that matter appear as plain text. I have tried adding an alternative theme and then gone back to Vanillas default but neither will work. Any ideas please? Thanks in advance, Mike

Comments

• What type of output do you get? Just plain text? Have you tried changing styles?
  • I have tried the Digg RP style without success.
  • check that apply style to all users box
  • I have now tried various themes and styles to no avail. It's as if the system can't see the style sheet although I am sure I have followed the upload instructions to the letter. Very frustrating.
  • I check the "apply style to all users" box every time. Should it be still checked when I go back in to themes and styles?
  • Have you checked that all your paths are set right?
  • As a total beginner, please can you tell me where I should be looking to check the paths are set correctly?
  • It has been suggested that I may have installed vanilla in the wrong place. apparently it should not be in the cgi-bin folder. Is this correct and if so how can I best change it? Thanks.
  • I think in theory it should work in the cgi-bin folder - it depends how your server has been set up. I wouldn't recommend it though. You'll need to delete all the vanilla files out that folder and also empty the database - your host should be able to help you wish this last bit unless you have access to phpMyAdmin.
  • Ok thanks Minisweeper for all your help (so far) I have emailed the host and await a reply. I'll let you know how it goes. Regards, Mike
  • OK, my host has reset the webspace and the sql database so I could start again from scratch. I have uploaded everything correctly but although the main web pages are appearing ok I cannot access the folder "Forum". I have uploaded this to the root this time instead of the cgi-bin folder which I did before. I have taken a screenshot of my ftp screen http://ccgi.widlof.force9.co.uk/images/ftpscreenshot.jpg Any suggestions please ?
  • Is this the hosting which came with your broadband or something? It wouldnt surprise me if they didnt actually offer PHP.
  • The PHP script installed ok last time (when I had uploaded everything to cgi-bin) the only problem then was the installation wasn't for what ever reason using the style sheet so the forum was functional but displayed in a very plain text format. Now I can't even navigate to the forum folder which is visible in th ftp window but not via my browser. All perms are set to 755.
  • Try setting permissions to 777 temporarily and see if it works.
  • Sorted, would you believe I'd spelt forum with a capital F. Thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.