Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Strange IE6 display issue (CSS, I assume?)

edited September 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Some of my users are encountering a strange display issue on the comment page. They say that when someone includes a quote in the discussion, it shifts the left margin of the... either the #Content, #Comment, or #Comment .CommentBody block... something like that, I'm not sure exactly... it shifts the comments left, such that the first letter or two of each line is hidden behind the Panel.

I assumed it was a browser issue, because I've tested the site with the most recent (Windows) versions of IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari. One of them told me they were using IE6.

Is it an extension that's causing the issue? Here are the ones I would expect are at fault:

AjaxQuote
Signatures variant (same CSS)
ExtendedTextFormatter
HTMLFormatter

And here are other extensions that are active on the comment page:

AddComments
CommentLinks
CommentProtection
ForcedBBCode
PreviewPost

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Yes, this is a very aggravating IE6 bug. It was first found here, [bug] Markdown 1.0.1c problems with quoting, indentation in IE # 6, but I believe that code might have since become a part of vanilla.css.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    *mumble, mumble*... friggin' IE... *mumble*...

Thanks WallPhone for that speedy response!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    BTW, I'm using v1.1.4, so maybe the code wasn't added? Or maybe something needs to be added to the original [#CommentBody blockquote], not just [#CommentBody blockquote blockquote]?

I've tried adding {height:1%} to [#CommentBody blockquote], as suggested by the Holly Hack. We'll see if that works... Yep, it works.
  • Options
    vanilla v1.1.4 is the most recent version.
  • Options
    fysicsluvrvanilla v1.1.4 is the most recent version.
    Err, yeah. That was my point. The glitch is still happening in the most recent version. So it would be nice if that was fixed for the next version or whatever.
  • Options
    I would be nice if Microsoft stopped taking a shit on web standards
  • Options
    I second that
  • Options
    It was added... its on lines 649-651 of vanilla.css. It was added without the fix.

Timfire: I can't easily test this right now, so is this what you did? If so, I'll get it into the codebase:/* Thanks to Bergamot */ #Comments blockquote { padding:8px 16px; margin:0 0 8px; background-color: #E5EAF6; border-left: 6px solid #ACBEDF; color:#56568F; height: 1%; }
    I can't remember if I had tried the holly hack when originally troubleshooting the issue.
  • Options
    Any chance of sneaking this fix into 1.1.5? :D
  • Options
    Just finished doing just that!
This discussion has been closed.