Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Fatal error when accepting memberships

edited March 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have got everything on forum sorted but when i test the forum for accepting memberships. I get this error message Warning: fsockopen() has been disabled for security reasons in /www/gigacities.net/s/y/a/syar/htdocs/Vanilla/library/Framework/Framework.Class.Email.php on line 196 A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred Technical information (for support personel): Error Message Could not connect to SMTP host smtp.googlemail.com:465 Affected Elements Email.SMTPSend(); The error occurred on or near: : For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs I am unsure why i am getting this. The only thing that i can think of is that my server (gigacities.net) doesn't give me any e-mail service, hence the reason i am trying to use a Gmail SMTP port. I am sorry but i am noob when it comes to this stuff lol. Do i have to have to be on a server that gives me an e-mail address or anything like that? or is there something else i can do to route it through Gmail or anything else like that sorry for the noob question lol Cheers

Comments

• It seems that your host is disabling the ability to connect to external addresses within PHP scripts so I dont think you'll be able to use an external email service. You'll probably find that the update check and stuff doesnt work either. Dont think there's much you can do about this besides moving hosts or asking this one to enable the feature.
  • Do you by any chance know of any free hosts that has this all installed and ready to use. I am really wanting a free host at the moment as this really is a test site but i need to make sure that everything works for when i move to a paid server for the customer
  • Where are you based?
  • I am based in the UK, I was thinking of using GoDaddy for finished site. I am unsure if i should just set my own site up using GoDaddy (as i currently don't have a site of my own) i could just use that to set it all up and then transfer everything over. I don't just want to get the customer a site now as i don't know if they can afford it or not as it just a local sports team
  • Why dont you try godaddy's free hosting (I believe they do some?) Alternatively you could buy some hosting from these fantastic chaps www.int0rw3b.com (there may or may not be a shameless plug in here)
  • GoDaddy do free hosting? I never new that. Well I will have a look but i don't think they do (at least anymore) Nice try with the plug but i want to use someone like GoDaddy, just because all of my friends and colleagues that have used them and the reviews i got back off them
  • Fair enough. I'm pretty sure they used to do free hosting...maybe they dont anymore. Looking at their website for too long hurts my eyes but have a dig around. They might not shout about it.
  • GoDaddy support sucks.

I had a discount code (from Alex & Kevin @ DIGG) and they refused it, actually they accepted the code but refused to deduct the discount.

Maybe because we're so far away down-under they think we are dumb, not so!

I don't use them any more but they still suck up to me with their newsletters and promotions, straight into my SPAM bucket and off of my recommended list.
This discussion has been closed.