Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Willing to pay] User Info/Login outside Vanilla installation?

edited June 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey everyone, would it be possible to have things such as a login field and user icon/name displayed outside of a Vanilla installation? I'm using Wordpress 2.5 and got the Jasmine plugin working with the comments (comment link on WP blog post leads to an automatically created forum post) and I see no reason to merge WP with Vanilla anymore, if only people could login into Vanilla from the WP end too. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Update / I'm willing to pay a little something through PayPal if someone could guide me through on how to accomplish this. I've gone through the topics here and it looks as if its possible, but I lack the coding expertise to do this on my own. At the very least I'm looking to have the "Not signed in (Sign In) / Signed in as wohoo (Sign Out)" on my Wordpress pages.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    how much will you pay ( i am not a programmer?) but i was thinking if it was not expensive i could ask for something like this too or maybe you could share but i know that would be hard for you especially if it is a lot of money
  • Options
    Well by the sounds of it, for the people who know what they're doing, it's pretty easy. So all it would take is for a knowlegdable person to type up a well written how-to guide for newbies like myself. I'd be willing to throw in $25 for just the "Not signed in (Sign In) / Signed in as wohoo (Sign Out)" implementation and $50 for the whole deal. And if someone does this, I have no problem sharing it with everyone. I just need it asap, so I'm willing to pay a little.
  • Options
    awesome! that is super! is this just for wordpress or for any external page? jw
  • Options
    I'd need it just for the latest Wordpress. But I'd imagine it'd work for any internal page, not sure though.
  • Options
    oh yes i see i wonder why no one has posted here yet hope they do ^_^
  • Options
    It's certainly possible. Any script can pull data out of a session and a script that has your Vanilla database login info can pull from Vanilla's DB. But to make that info show up in Wordpress, you're talking about a Wordpress plugin rather than a Vanilla extension.

Out of curiosity, why are you dropping the integration between WP and Vanilla?
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Here's the relevant code in Vanilla:

library/People/People.Class.Authenticator.php, GetIdentity() on line 107.
    Gets the user ID from the session or from cookies.

library/People/People.Class.UserManager.php, GetSessionDataById() on line 527.
    Given a user ID, gets user properties from the database.

The really fast and nasty way to do it would be some PHP code like this:
    <?php ini_set('include_path', ini_get('include_path') . PATH_SEPARATOR . $path_to_vanilla); include('appg/settings.php'); $Configuration['SELF_URL'] = 'norender'; include('appg/init_vanilla.php'); echo $Context->Session->User->Name; ?>

But that would pull a lot of Vanilla code into every load of your Wordpress page, which probably isn't what you want.
  • Options
    I have no idea what to do with that information :) But I'm trying to stay away from the WP-Vanilla integration because: (a) by the sounds of it, too many things that can go wrong whenever something gets updated (b) I don't like to manage things I don't understand I'm actually using Janine to get Vanilla handle the comments for my WP posts so I only need to have the user/login info on the WP end as well. I don't need it for anything else. The way I'm designing my Vanilla is so it'll look completely like my site itself, and it would look a bit weird of there's only the ability to log in from half the site. Either a WP plugin or just a piece of code I could hardcode into my template would be fine.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ok, how and where do I use that? I tried putting that into my sidebar (with correct paths to settings.php and init_vanilla.php) and all I get is a bunch of errors. What else/where else do I need to include?

Warning: main(http://www.thatblognetwork.com/tvgbtest/forums/appg/settings.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 133 Warning: main(http://www.thatblognetwork.com/tvgbtest/forums/appg/settings.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 133 Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.thatblognetwork.com/tvgbtest/forums/appg/settings.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:') in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 133 Warning: main(http://www.thatblognetwork.com/tvgbtest/forums/appg/init_vanilla.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 135 Warning: main(http://www.thatblognetwork.com/tvgbtest/forums/appg/init_vanilla.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 135 Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.thatblognetwork.com/tvgbtest/forums/appg/init_vanilla.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:') in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 135
  • Options
    $path_to_vanilla means the directory path, not the URL path. In your case it looks like it would be /home/wohoo/public_html/forums

But it still probably wouldn't work because I'm guessing WP renders the sidebar from inside a function and class declarations aren't valid inside a function.

If you didn't understand that last sentence, then this is not a path you want to go down.

Honestly I think the WP integration is a better bet for you. When you don't understand the code it's always better to go with a proven solution rather than a customized one.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Like this you mean?

<?php ini_set('include_path', ini_get('include_path') . PATH_SEPARATOR . /home/wohoo/public_html/forums); include('appg/settings.php'); $Configuration['SELF_URL'] = 'norender'; include('appg/init_vanilla.php'); echo $Context->Session->User->Name; ?>

If so, then this is what I'm getting now:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/' in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 132

If I insert it without the "/", like this:

<?php ini_set('include_path', ini_get('include_path') . PATH_SEPARATOR . home/wohoo/public_html/forums); include('appg/settings.php'); $Configuration['SELF_URL'] = 'norender'; include('appg/init_vanilla.php'); echo $Context->Session->User->Name; ?>

then I get these errors:

Warning: Division by zero in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 129 Warning: Division by zero in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 129 Warning: Division by zero in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 129 Warning: main(appg/settings.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 130 Warning: main(appg/settings.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 130 Warning: main(appg/settings.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 130 Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'appg/settings.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:') in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 130 Warning: main(appg/init_vanilla.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 132 Warning: main(appg/init_vanilla.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 132 Warning: main(appg/init_vanilla.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 132 Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'appg/init_vanilla.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:') in /home/wohoo/public_html/tvgbtest/wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php on line 132

The reason I'm staying away from integration is so whenever something goes wrong, I can just disable a plugin or quickly remove the code from the WP end. But if it's all integrated, then doing that would be much more difficult. No?
  • Options
    i asked the same question here, but have so far not had any answers. i did find a wordpress support thread asking the same question.

http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/7278/
  • Options
    check your parentheses on that line; you have one more ")" than you do "("
This discussion has been closed.