Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Ignore User

edited January 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
If there is an extension for this, please let me know. I have a few annoying users that are almost to the point of spam and would like to give people the option to "ignore" their posts. Is there a way to, on a user to basis/setting, exclude all posts and threads from a particular user from view. In theory the technology is already there - could be something like whispers?

Comments

• Options
    shouldn't you just ban them?
  • Options
    We have policy against banning, we want it to be an individuals decision who they ignore, sort of pseudo-banning on a individual user basis
  • Options
    I believe this is what the "block user" and "block comment" buttons should be changed to. I was slightly depressed when I clicked "block user" and nothing happened :(

Banning is a good policy to keep, but it should only be exercised in the most extreme scenarios.
  • Options
    It's at least something you can threaten them with, until they stop spamming.

Interesting policy against banning...
  • Options
    I believe such policies in an online community should reflect what we'd do in real life.

People should have the option to "ignore" others based on their own opinions and standards. Banning (by an admin) should only be an option for extreme unsociable behaviour or an infringement against the rules of conduct specific to that community, provided that these rules are clear and well publicised.

And yes "block user" and "block comment" are really badly labelled and should be changed.
  • Options
    i'd love an "ignore" extension, too. let this post serve as a timely *bump*! :D
  • Options
    Lots of my users are asking for this "ignore the user X" extension. So please sign me in the list asking for this. Cheers
  • Options
    What should happen if an ignored person starts a new discussion? Do you just not see the entire discussion? Even if non-ignored people post there?
  • Options
    I'm looking for an ignore extension too.
  • Options
    @squirrel, if it's possible in the framework, perhaps discussions started by blocked/ignored users would show up as "read". OR Discussions started by blocked/ignored users are in a different color, or given a CSS class name, so that further extensions can give the option to hide them :)
  • Options
    inaugural day bump! i think millions would rejoice if such a function existed.